Lost older brass drain plug

I remember replacing the brass plug with a s/s bolt from Ace. I think it was a 5 threads per inch, 3/8" (?) about !/2" long. I filed down the nut edges to make it smooth.

I remember replacing the brass plug with a s/s bolt from Ace. I think it was a 5 threads per inch, 3/8" (?) about !/2" long. I filed down the nut edges to make it smooth.
Looks right. :) I found a stainless plug with a large Hex/Allen head. It fit well, but was raised above the deck—a hazard. :(

But it is now I find the same "fix" is a set screw—and doesn't need filing. They're available at Home Depot and Amazon.
51ml-HpdOPL._SX425_[1].jpg

It does require that Hex/Allen wrench (above) to install and remove. (Although grinding the top with a straight cut would assist routine removals using a standard screwdriver or a coin).

Whatever is installed, it should be wrapped with a turn or two of Teflon tape to ensure it won't get stuck.
(Again). :confused:

Thanks. I thought they may be special thread. I will now look around locally. I was using as a piece of duct tape as a temporary solution

Standard pipe thread, you can find a brass drain plug at the hardware.
Google Garboard Drain Plug and you'll find them plentiful. Cork will
still be cheaper and easier on the foot when you step on it.

Select your cork size very carefully :oops: or buy a couple-different sizes that are close.

A neoprene "cork" is more durable, and easier to remove.

Any ideas where I can get replacement or what would be alternative. Thanks
I tried to buy one from Sunfish Direct, dating my boat carefully from its serial number. SD sent me the wrong plug, and their customer service ignored me, so I'd be wary of relying on them to sell you a replacement. As others have noted, corks work, although can get kicked loose when coming about.

Found Hillman wellnut which hopefully will push into drain hole receptacle and expand by tightening screw
I will try this on next trip to lake.

It might be better all the way around to get the entire old plug and threaded insert out, and install a nice new plastic one that comes on new Sunfish. It doesn't seize up, is easy to open to drain the boat if needed, and if you lose the plug more are available.

I use one of these, like I do on my transom drain. Tie it with a piece of string so you don't loose it if you flip and it is unplugged. The old Despersia drain unplugged, drains faster than either the new plastic ones or the old Despersia with the cap lightly screwed on. Easy to quick plug in and pull out too. I've never had an issue.

Attachments

• 0710160837.jpg
    0710160837.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
I like the idea of a new type plug .Is it relatively easy to remove old recepticle Is the new plastic one bonded in place . Does it fit in the old hole or what size? What tools do I need. Thanks for all help.

Not hard to replace with new style. I seem to recall two issues to pay attention to:
1) the old may be very hard to unscrew, so you may end up cutting it off with hacksaw. Even if you don’t have to cut off, you may need two people, one up dealing with nut in cockpit , and other below hull with pipe wrench or pliers.
2) I could be wrong, but I think there are two different thread lengths on the new style, and you might check your thru-hull thickness before picking up the new. Others can weight in on this, as it’s been a few years since I replaced an old with new. The new is a piece of cake to install.

Not hard to replace with new style. I seem to recall two issues to pay attention to:
1) the old may be very hard to unscrew, so you may end up cutting it off with hacksaw. Even if you don’t have to cut off, you may need two people, one up dealing with nut in cockpit , and other below hull with pipe wrench or pliers.
2) I could be wrong, but I think there are two different thread lengths on the new style, and you might check your thru-hull thickness before picking up the new. Others can weigh in on this, as it’s been a few years since I replaced an old with new. The new is a piece of cake to install.
:oops: I think we're talking about the drain off to the side of the splashguard. (No access from cockpit).

1) That one is held in place by two tiny pins. You can use a small nail trimmed-flat to drive them out. Replace with newest plastic drain.

2) Or, drill a hole in the brass plug, add WD-40 to top- and (now-accessible-underneath-) threads, drill a still-larger hole, and see if the plug will now break free. If it broke free, use original base, and replace drilled brass plug with nylon, stainless, or other threaded plug.

Back