Lost at sea on a Sunfish

Old Geezer

SOUTHPORT, N.C. (May 1) - Two teenagers lost at sea for six days without food or fresh water were spotted by fishermen more than 100 miles from where they started, clinging to their small sailboat.

The boys quenched their thirst with sea water and slipped into the ocean to cool off, but sharks chased them back onto the boat. At night, they used a single wet suit to keep warm.

"I asked God to take me,'' 15-year-old Troy Driscoll said as he lay in a hospital emergency room. "You're out there fighting for your life. We didn't want to fight anymore.''

Driscoll and his best friend, 18-year-old Josh Long, were spotted Saturday about seven miles off Cape Fear - six days and more than 100 miles from where they had put in off Sullivans Island, S.C., on April 24. The boys were sunburned, dehydrated and exhausted, but otherwise in pretty good shape.

"We were praying for a miracle and we got one,'' Charleston Coast Guard Cmdr. June Ryan said. "Everybody on the East Coast has been looking for these boys.''

Shane Coker said first he would hug his little brother Troy - "then I'm gonna hit him and let him know how much he made us worry.''

The teens set out on a 14-foot Sunfish on a blustery day when the National Weather Service warned small boats to stay off the water. The realized they were in trouble almost immediately and tried to swim back to shore, pulling the boat along with them.

Within hours, they were out to sea.

"We lost our tackle the second day,'' Driscoll told one of his relatives on the phone. "So we couldn't catch any fish.''

The boys' hope waned as the week wore on. They stood on their Sunfish every time they saw a boat, waving their paddles and yelling. One night they were awakened by water splashing in their faces and found a large container ship bearing down on them.

"It was like some monster building in the water,'' Driscoll said.

At one point, the teens thought they had drifted across the Atlantic Ocean and were close to Africa. Instead, they were about 111 miles north - well outside the Coast Guard's search grid - but close enough to spot one more fishing boat.

They got up and made some noise. This time, they were heard.

"What we have is an absolutely miraculous story of survival that's going to be studied for years to come,'' said Richard Goerling, Long's uncle. "I think those two boys have a book to write.''

The Coast Guard wants to review the case to see how the boys took a route so unanticipated by computer models and weather and nautical data.

The boys said they don't remember much about their rescue, but recalled that as they were pulled aboard the fishing boat, their rescuers asked what they wanted to do with the Sunfish.

"We told them we didn't want to see it again,'' Long said.

khilbert said:
In reference to a previous thread; "Where are the kids?" ;)

ROFL. I hope there aren't too many kids who set out to sea in a Sunfish in an offshore breeze on a day when there is a Small Craft Advisory!

Perhaps a more pertinent question is "Where were the parents?"

Glad they are all right too. They were apparently paddling out to go shark fishing! without the rig.

So did the rescuers leave the boat out at sea? Perhaps it (or the rig) will show up on the for sale board!

Not to burst y'alls bubble and fortunately the boys survived but they were on a JY15. Go check out the video on the MSN website. It clearly shows a JY15 and not a Sunfish. But it does go to show the Sunfish is probably the best known boat by the entire world becuase that the what the media keeps say their journey/adventure was on. At least they are home safe.

I'm confused....(not unusual).

Some reports say that when they were picked up (several miles out to sea) the boys were asked what they wanted their rescuers to do with their boat (identified as a Sunfish at this point) and they said they never wanted to see it again.

Then some other reports show pictures of a JY 15 on a beach.

What happened?
Was the original report of it being a Sunfish wrong?
Did the rescuers actually tow the boat in - in spite of what the boys said?
Or did some photographer find a convenient boat on a beach to make a nice photo for his article?

there is a big difference here..
One was intentional...the runaway bride
the other was not, hey we all do stupid things.
the woman needs to pay the price of the seach +/or go to jail for the mess.
one other question remains....who got the boat?????

Very glad the two boys are safe now

When escaping from one terrifying sea experience, we all swear never put at sea again. But, as we say in France, it is rather often a drunkard promise.
I hope they attend a sailing course before they sail again.

A lot of lessons from their experience:

-young teenagers do sometimes very silly things because a lack of knowledge and practice, and they enjoy so much discovering the world, too. It is wise from parents to keep a look on what they do.

-sharks fight fiercly when hauled aboard, even no man-eating sharks, they have strong jaws and very cutting teeth: a dinghy is definitely not the right boat to go and fish them,

-I enjoyed many Sunfish cruises with my girlfriend, but:
-though the Sunfish is almost as seaworthy as a sea-kayak is, the smaller the boat, the thougher the sea, so we watch carefully the weather reports,
then, among the waterthights bags where we keep our cameras, food and dry clothes, there is one with some pharmacy stuff, six small flares and a signalling mirror, a watertight flaslight, a fog horn, and some high-calorie food. I don't have a VHF (better watertight) but it would be a very good thing. This bag is small , about one foot long. All the bags are secured to the boat with strings, in the case of a capsize. We have just enough room left to keep our feet in the cockpit.

When we just sail around, we keep only this small bag aboard. This may help other people around, who might have problems: dinghy sailors, sailboarders or people drifting on lilos: I find sometimes some of them in summer, in a rather bad shape, very stressed so it is a matter of urgency to draw attention for a quick help.

We have all the time enough water aboard, at least one gallon; On sunny days , the human body loses much water with evaporation.

I noticed in rescue reports that often fishermen or merchant vessels sailed close to distressed people without seeing them. So the flares are mostly a need.

in short, to sail safely, do not rely only on gear, but:
- learn to sail,
- learn the weather,
- learn the sea
- learn to know your own limits, and STAY IN when possible.

All of this is great and rewarding, and that's why sailing is a most enjoying and self making activity, no matter the boat's size, from the Sunfish people to the great guys and girls who race around the world, seeing nothing but wawes.

Cheers to all the Sunfish people, from a French one

pstruzzi said:
there is a big difference here..
One was intentional...the runaway bride
the other was not, hey we all do stupid things.

Hey - stupidity can get you in jail too. If I run a red light because I'm trying to put a new CD in my CD player and not looking where I'm going and smash into another car and kill 2 people, is it an excuse to say "Oh it was just a stupid thing"?

But these were teenagers (though one of them was old enough to drive). Seems to me that it was the parents that were most culpable.

Old Geezer...your living up to your name. Show some compassion. You were 16 once too and I am sure you did some foolish things along the way.

dphoye said:
Old Geezer...your living up to your name. Show some compassion. You were 16 once too and I am sure you did some foolish things along the way.

Nah - I've always been a grumpy old geezer.

Back