Loose Rudder Mount on an old Sunfish

hobeika

The screws holding my old style rudder mounting hardware on the deck of an old sunfish are completely stripped out. I tried to Epoxy the screw holes and then drilled them and inserted screw holders in the holes and screwed the stainless steel screws. But after one sail the screws got loose again and the holes got bigger.

How to fix this problem ? I am thinking of putting a stainless steel plate under the rudder plate holder and screw it to the board surface and then attach the rudder plate to the steel plate. Am I thinking right or I am totally off track?

Help is needed. Thanks

The screws holding my old style rudder mounting hardware on the deck of an old sunfish are completely stripped out. I tried to Epoxy the screw holes and then drilled them and inserted screw holders in the holes and screwed the stainless steel screws. But after one sail the screws got loose again and the holes got bigger.
Sounds like the wood backing blocks that the screws anchor into have rotted or broken loose. Either way you'll need to install an inspection port (deck plate) a few inches ahead of the deck plate. With access to the inner hull established you can replace the wood blocks. Your idea of SS plate (~1/8") is a good one, only affix them inside the hull, the deck/hull thickness is insufficient to hold fasteners that get any sort of load.

4755574667_5e1babce98_b.jpg

Many thanks Wayne!!

You mean that I make a hole in the deck two inch ahead of the plate big enough to get the wooden plate in the hull so that I can attach the plate screws to it and then close the hole with a fiber glass fixer. Did I get it right?

Fiberglassing over the hole is not really worth the trouble. Installing a inspection plate is a 30 minute job and you'll be good to go. While you are at it replace the wood screw holding the bottom strap with a bolt and SS plate. I used Bar Stock from the local hardware. 3M 4200 works good to seal the inspection ring to the deck.

You mean that I make a hole in the deck two inch ahead of the plate big enough to get the wooden plate in the hull so that I can attach the plate screws to it and then close the hole with a fiber glass fixer. Did I get it right?
That's the idea...

How to install an inspection port

Picture+3.png

Drawing - Daniel Feldman - Wind Line Sails

New wood backing blocks or SS backing plates, either will work.

Example of older style wood compared with the newer style metal
backing for the halyard fairlead next to the mast

4912615442_aa90bcbf8b_z.jpg

The hole can be closed and sealed with a deck plate...

laser_inspection_port_5_inch.jpg

... available at marine supply stores ... $8 - $15

Back