Looking to replace the sail

Sylvan Sunfish

Looking for a new sail for the Sunfish to give to the misses for Christmas. Any recommendations on who carries a nice quality sail for the money? We do not race or intend to, but would like something that will last and would also like to have the window in it.

Jon

Intensity sails- they have a nice white one with a window for $125.00. They also have a red, white and blue version without the window for the same price and you can pay extra to add a window.

Intensity sails- they have a nice white one with a window for $125.00. They also have a red, white and blue version without the window for the same price and you can pay extra to add a window.
Do you have any personal experience with an Intensity sail? I have previously seen them but I wonder why they cost so much less then other sails...

Do you have any personal experience with an Intensity sail? I have previously seen them but I wonder why they cost so much less then other sails...
The markup on a legal sail is enormous: North makes the sail in Sri Lanka; from there to LP, then to the dealer and finally to you.
I have read nothing but favorable comments on Intensity sails. Personally, I would get the 'race' version with the deeper draft.

I have two Intensity practice race sails and I love them. I can't say enough good things about Intensity Sails...

I bought a Sunfish "race" sail (with window) from Intensity in late summer of this year. The sail is, IMHO, a quality product. Not Class approved, but the only racing I do is pickup stuff with a few of the other Sunfish owners on the lake. Now I'm actually in trouble with one guy because I've "gone pro."

I got this one off of Ebay... a bit more than the Intensity sails.... around $175 shipped...less without the window. It's made of the same Challenge Dacron all the others are made of and nice stitching... 4 point zig zag joining the panels, etc.. I think this sail makers sells quite a few sails out of her (what I'm guessing to be modest) loft. JudyB Sails I think.
0702160939b.jpg

I have bought several aftermarket sails mostly from Neil Pryde and Intensity. and I favor the Intensity. It is race cut (full size and powerful) and well crafted. Get the window - worth it.
The Neil Pryde sails are nice, but in my opinion, cut too flat and the windows have a scrim of threads that make it less clear.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I got this one off of Ebay... a bit more than the Intensity sails.... around $175 shipped...less without the window. It's made of the same Challenge Dacron all the others are made of and nice stitching... 4 point zig zag joining the panels, etc.. I think this sail makers sells quite a few sails out of her (what I'm guessing to be modest) loft. JudyB Sails I think.View attachment 21772
That is a nice looking sail - both color-wise and it looks to have a nice shape. Have you ever laid it out on top of an official Sunfish sail? The angle of the luff and foot at the tack looks perhaps more acute than standard, but it is hard to tell from the picture.

I have many Sunfish sails, new, available in many color options. Some are Neil Pryde but with a clear window because as Alan said their standard window has all the threads in it. I had them make the sails with clear windows. I also have other Sunfish sails made by another sailmaker that are race shape, with windows. Contact me at cjo1023 ta yahoo dot com. I have new sail rings, new ropes for halyards, mainsheets, and sail ties as well.

That is a nice looking sail - both color-wise and it looks to have a nice shape. Have you ever laid it out on top of an official Sunfish sail? The angle of the luff and foot at the tack looks perhaps more acute than standard, but it is hard to tell from the picture.
No I haven't, but it replaced an official sail that finally had too many repairs to it. If anything, I'd say the new one has a tad more belly to it along the foot, but if fit my spars basically to the inch as my original. It seemed pretty close actually. I would have to imagine the draft would be slightly different, unless the sailmaker ripped an official apart to use for a template.

All-
Thanks for the replies. I was looking into Intensity, but mixmkr...that is a great looking sail! I'll see what they have available. I'll shop eBay and see if I can find her.

Thanks everyone,
Jon

great...I've used mine for the 2016 season and it held up great. The clear window isn't the best material, but is just fine. On these little sails, it's not like you can put some 40 mil Strataglass in... It's probably just a cheap, roll vinyl, but the stitching is excellent. No thread tails and goofy lines in the stitches. I notice that stuff because I do marine canvas myself and to make the sail, you wouldn't save that much money at this price. It is a "looker" though. Here's the sail cover I made to go with it.

Attachments

• 0717161908a.jpg
    0717161908a.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 0622161912.jpg
    0622161912.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 42

Back