Looking to put a fair price on an older Laser

I have a 1986 Laser with stiff decks and pristine sails with complete rigging that I find myself needing to put a price on. What is a fair price for a package like this (Opti Parts and ACME tiller, New Boom vang, Autobailer and mainsheet. Ext.).

In other words, what would a similar boat run me to purchase.

Supply and demand, Econ101. There are multiply factors that go into a decision such as location, weather, season, condition of the boat, desperate to unload versus wanting to maximize the value, listing exposure, lots of Laser sailors, good race fleet, etc. Look at other posts and pics in this forum, and put a slightly higher value on your boat. You will know in a short amount of time whether it is priced reasonably, or not, by how many turn you down or don't enquire about it, you can always lower the price incrementally until people start biting. If someone does bite at your offer, then even better. Most people that buy used will ask for a cheaper price anyway. Like a garage sale, even though you list it at 50 cents, someone will always ask if you would consider taking a quarter. "It's a garage sale, not a FREE sale," I say!!:mad: Post some pics here and I'm sure someone will comment if it is overpriced or not.
Just my opinion on selling. Good luck.

The main reason why I am asking is I find myself in a position where, after the boat attained some critical damage, I am looking to replace it with a similar example. My question is, what is market value for a good condition late 80s- early 90s laser with like new sails and a nice hull.

The main reason why I am asking is I find myself in a position where, after the boat attained some critical damage, I am looking to replace it with a similar example. My question is, what is market value for a good condition late 80s- early 90s laser with like new sails and a nice hull.
50 cents. But you'll have to buy your own new sail.
I just donated my 1988 boat to a sailing school. Three sails, full new rigging.
Really, a Laser that old should be donated to anyone willing to sail it.
E

50 cents. But you'll have to buy your own new sail.
I just donated my 1988 boat to a sailing school. Three sails, full new rigging.
Really, a Laser that old should be donated to anyone willing to sail it.
E
Wish everyone thought that way...looks like I will be spending 1500-2000 to get a similar boat

These are extremely difficult finds. The closest I've seen was a 96' Olympics hull, (listed here) that was basically garaged since the games and pristine, and loaded with all the new gear upgrades. Asking price was $ 4,500.00. It sold but not sure what for.

These are extremely difficult finds. The closest I've seen was a 96' Olympics hull, (listed here) that was basically garaged since the games and pristine, and loaded with all the new gear upgrades. Asking price was $ 4,500.00. It sold but not sure what for.
By this I mean a hull with no soft spots. Classic hardware, new/recently purchased sails. Here in New York there are a few of these boats, my last one was owned by someone who only raced it once a year at a regatta at their club. It was a 1986 Laser International build. Sail new in 2016. What would you value a similar boat at? I was thinking somewhere around 1500.

Last edited:
I would say $1500 is fair. That is based on the modern parts you have and a sail in good condition. Certainly no more than $1500. Good Luck.

With the upgrades (and no leaks), I agree that $1500 is fair, or maybe a little more for bargaining room. I am assuming there are no (ugly) repairs.

Nothing ugly, just some chips at the bow, and some stress crack repairs in the gunnels. Boat leaked until plug gasket was changed at the end of this season. Has one developing soft area (very mild right now) in the front starboard floor of the cockpit. Obviously, like most boats this age, it's not perfect. Just thought I would include some context.

Bought an '88 Canadian made boat in July for $1000. It came with a Kitty Hawk trailer (old but serviceable), original sail, and very old running rigging (including original vang). The boat is stiff and dry, with some cosmetic gel coat cracks on deck; and the mast step holds water.

Bought an '88 Canadian made boat in July for $1000. It came with a Kitty Hawk trailer (old but serviceable), original sail, and very old running rigging (including original vang). The boat is stiff and dry, with some cosmetic gel coat cracks on deck; and the mast step holds water.
You got a really good deal than, although, I would venture to say you will need to replace your rigging if you intend to race in any capacity, probably worth something to someone though. To my understanding, the older Performance Sailcraft boats are closer to that range. Although, they where also made in Canada. The differentiation is that later boats such as mine have a Laser International build sticker in the rear of the cockpit, signifying them as the builder. I believe it was 85' to 89'. However, there are many people on this forum who are much more knowledgeable than I, and for this reason, take all of this with a grain of salt.

I have a 1986 Laser with stiff decks and pristine sails with complete rigging that I find myself needing to put a price on. What is a fair price for a package like this (Opti Parts and ACME tiller, New Boom vang, Autobailer and mainsheet. Ext.).

In other words, what would a similar boat run me to purchase.
Look, i get you’re just trying to get a straight answer on here and not having any luck. I bought my laser used as a project boat b/c i wanted to learn everything i can about it and put it back together. I paid $800 bucks and it was in pretty good shape and didn’t want to spend $6000 bucks on a brand new one to go wreck it the first day out. But i looked everywhere for months, not just here but on craigslist and Looking For A Used Laser Sailboat For Sale? | Laser Sailing Tips and some others. Hopefully this will help. Godspeed!

For a vintage boat like that... If in good shape with some additonal pieces, you can probably get $1000- $1500. The market for used boats is pretty hot at least here in Texas. Maybe list for $2000 and see what happens. It's definately going to be a started boat for someone.

For a vintage boat like that... If in good shape with some additonal pieces, you can probably get $1000- $1500. The market for used boats is pretty hot at least here in Texas. Maybe list for $2000 and see what happens. It's definately going to be a started boat for someone.

My first thought was "wow thats little steep" but the market has definately heated up!

My first thought was "wow thats little steep" but the market has definately heated up!
Yes, the market is a bit nutty right now. I'm seeing boats go for more than I would ever spend on them. I recently purchased a boat to flip, and it sold for more than the exact same boat I sold 4 years ago (mine was sail number 182941) did. There are still deals out there. I'm just conveying that I think I would list it for. As you know, a boat is only worth what someone will pay for it.. :)

Back