Looking to join an active Sunfish fleet in retirement - where would you move?

ronbisio

Hello,

I've spent the past 16 years here in Boulder, Colorado and I'm doing preliminary research into places to retire where I can join an active Sunfish fleet (ideally Sunfish + RS Aero). Where are the active Sunfish fleets and where would you move?

I'm from Cape Cod so the northeast is a natural destination, but as I stare out at the snow coming down it occurs to me that I may be done with winter.

Thank you.

I would think a phone call to the Sunfish Class might be worthwhile - they might be able to chime in based on their data.
You could also look at recent copies of the Windward Leg to see race results and get a better idea of which clubs sail most frequently.

Two active Sunfish fleets in Florida are Davis Island YC in Tampa and Melbourne YC in Melbourne, FL. Neither have Aeros.

Wequaquet doesn’t race any longer except for the big regatta.

Massapoag YC in Massachusetts has Sunfish and Aeros.

Thank you for the replies... with the active fleets in New England and Florida it looks like the right call is to snowbird between the two.

Two active Sunfish fleets in Florida are Davis Island YC in Tampa and Melbourne YC in Melbourne, FL. Neither have Aeros.

Wequaquet doesn’t race any longer except for the big regatta.

Massapoag YC in Massachusetts has Sunfish and Aeros.

What about the Sarasota Sailing Squad??

What about the Sarasota Sailing Squad??
I was actually sitting with Lee Parks of SSS when I wrote the above. It sounds like SSS Sunfish Racing is mostly women but it is worth double checking.

Rehoboth Bay Sailing in Delaware has a small Sunfish fleet that is active too. No Aeros tho. I was also sitting with Nancy Jaywork of Rehoboth too when I typed that.

Arizona is a popular retirement destination for good reason, and we have a great Sunfish Fleet within the Arizona Yacht Club. We just finished a 3-day Regatta, and sailed last weekend, and will sail again this weekend ... it’s FEBRUARY and the weather is great. Check us out! Sunfish - Arizona Yacht Club

Fort Worth, Texas. Cheap to live. No state taxes. No snow. Lot’s of personal freedoms here. Active marina and sunfish fleet on Lake Worth.

My humble .02 ¢,
Whitecap

Hello,

I've spent the past 16 years here in Boulder, Colorado and I'm doing preliminary research into places to retire where I can join an active Sunfish fleet (ideally Sunfish + RS Aero). Where are the active Sunfish fleets and where would you move?

I'm from Cape Cod so the northeast is a natural destination, but as I stare out at the snow coming down it occurs to me that I may be done with winter.

Thank you.
Go South--Melbourne YC Fl has a good fleet--also, Sarasotta or Davis Islnd in Tampa, FL

Back