What's new

Looking for Tiller extension or new tiller and extension

Torpedo

Price $
State
CALIFORNIA
Hello, my tiller extension broke off where it connects to the tiller at the rubber component. Both tiller extension and tiller are metal. Is there a way to fix this (I'm guessing not)? Better, I am looking for a replacement for the tiller w/ extension. I sail a Classic Laser rig and do not race. I sail for leisure and like to go really fast. Thank you

Attachments

LaLi

The joint is a Ronstan 3133.
The extension would be the Ronstan 3135; that's a "racing" length (125 cm), which I'd recommend to recreational sailors, too, over the next size down (103 cm).
Those should be available at West Marine stores, ones closest to you being in Long Beach and Newport Beach.

Your tiller looks like the old standard "thin" aluminium one, which is totally fine for recreational use. If you still want to upgrade yours, turn to West Coast Sailing in Portland. (And you might forget everything Ronstan then.)

_

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
I know many prefer the 49" extension, but I have been happy with the 41" (100 cm) one. The longer one requires some 'getting used to' and is more suitable for tall racers.

PS: you don't really need a new extension because one can cut off the bad part and insert the Ronstan 3133 universal connector.
And you may not have to replace the seat/base on the tiller because the one shown in your image is a Ronstan and should fit. :)

Torpedo

I know many prefer the 49" extension, but I have been happy with the 41" (100 cm) one. The longer one requires some 'getting used to' and is more suitable for tall racers.

PS: you don't really need a new extension because one can cut off the bad part and insert the Ronstan 3133 universal connector.
And you may not have to replace the seat/base on the tiller because the one shown in your image is a Ronstan and should fit. :)
Wavedancer, do you mean saw-off / cut-off the part of the metal extension that is closest to the rubber component so that the extension is slightly shorter?.. Then insert the Ronstan 3133 over the cut-off side. I have a friend who has a slew of tools, so this is a low-budget $16 Ronstan 3133 part, well worth exploring. Thank you

LaLi

Depends on how long your current extension is (straighten ;) and measure it) - if it’s 110 cm or less (including an imaginary intact joint), don’t shorten it more.
You then have to undo the rubber sleeve and whatever fastening there is underneath it, to get everything out. Not a much tougher job.

The longer one requires some 'getting used to' and is more suitable for tall racers.
A longer extension does require some more assertiveness when tacking, but I don’t know about the taller/shorter sailor issue. Of course taller people extend farther out, but they have longer arms, too, so I think it evens out in the end.

_