Looking for the owner of the laser with sail number 178611, any leads?

Fillah Karim

Hi, I am trying to find out who owns the boat with this sail number: 178611. It's a long shot, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone knows who owns that sail number.

It's a bit random, but I really like that number, so I'm trying to find the owner to get permission to race with their number on the international circuit.

Fillah

It's likely a 2001, 2002 hull year. Could be an 03' if things were slow then. I have a 2001 that is 170345. Not a lot of hulls that are that age and still on a competitive circuit. I'd say go ahead and use it. Chances of you going to an event, (international event for that matter) and that number showing up are really slim.

A google search shows nothing. If you register for any sort of organized regatta, it is probably on a website somewhere. Whoever does own than number does not appear to be an active racer at any level.

It would definitely be a 2003 boat. It could be anywhere on the planet; moreover, there were still five different Laser builders at the time.

Even if you found it, you'd have to buy it (or at least a part of it!) to use the number on charter boats. I don't know how/if this is enforced, but that's what the rule says.

_

I know a kid who literally uses 8008 (BOOB) as a sail number, and gets away with it. I would just go for it. No one will care at all

Back