What's new

Looking for safety tips for sailing all alone

L&VW

[
Well, the first and biggest tip I will give you is to always wear a sailing life jacket no matter whether you are a beginner or a world-class swimmer. I have personally seen some professional swimmers being in trouble after falling from sailing(they were unconscious). ALWAYS WEAR ONE!

Second, never rush things and let it go with the flow while you must be fully alert for your safety. Never take your safety for granted. And rest of all the tips are the same as 3RiverSunish gave prior to me.

Source - lifejacketexpert.com/best-life-jackets-for-sailing/
I've read that a PFD can't be put on while the boater is immersed in water. :confused:

Anyone tested that statement? My neighbor's pool isn't warm enough, yet! :(

andyatos

What do you use for weather forecasting?
Windy.com. Here's the forecast for my local area. It also has the wind forecasts for various altitudes above the surface. This can explain why the wind, and its strength, is happening or not happening at the surface.

iKitesurf.com. This gives you an idea as to what the winds are actually doing in comparison to the forecast.

Local, Detailed Meteorology Discussion. To understand the nuances and trends of how the weather works in a localized area.

Satellite Loop Of My Area.
To see what's coming, what passed by and what's going on over your head when you are socked in with fog, clouds or when it's night time.

Coastal Marine Forecast. Perhaps the least accurate of my forecasting tools. A broad idea of what's on its way.

- Andy

Last edited:

wjejr

Hi Kate onboard,

I use the basic, not subscription, sailflow.com, and it is usually in the ballpark. There's an app as well.

Hope that helps

Coastal Redneck

Windy.com. Here's the forecast for my local area. It also has the wind forecasts for various altitudes above the surface. This can explain why the wind, and its strength, is happening or not happening at the surface.

iKitesurf.com. This gives you an idea as to what the winds are actually doing in comparison to the forecast.

Local, Detailed Meteorology Discussion. To understand the nuances and trends of how the weather works in a localized area.

Satellite Loop Of My Area.
To see what's coming, what passed by and what's going on over your head when you are socked in with fog, clouds or when it's night time.

Coastal Marine Forecast. Perhaps the least accurate of my forecasting tools. A broad idea of what's on its way.

- Andy
Cripes, Andyatos, you're better rigged than NASA for each nautical excursion, LOL... :confused: