Looking for safety tips for sailing all alone

[
Well, the first and biggest tip I will give you is to always wear a sailing life jacket no matter whether you are a beginner or a world-class swimmer. I have personally seen some professional swimmers being in trouble after falling from sailing(they were unconscious). ALWAYS WEAR ONE!

Second, never rush things and let it go with the flow while you must be fully alert for your safety. Never take your safety for granted. And rest of all the tips are the same as 3RiverSunish gave prior to me.

Source - lifejacketexpert.com/best-life-jackets-for-sailing/
I've read that a PFD can't be put on while the boater is immersed in water. :confused:

Anyone tested that statement? My neighbor's pool isn't warm enough, yet! :(

What do you use for weather forecasting?
Windy.com. Here's the forecast for my local area. It also has the wind forecasts for various altitudes above the surface. This can explain why the wind, and its strength, is happening or not happening at the surface.

iKitesurf.com. This gives you an idea as to what the winds are actually doing in comparison to the forecast.

Local, Detailed Meteorology Discussion. To understand the nuances and trends of how the weather works in a localized area.

Satellite Loop Of My Area.
To see what's coming, what passed by and what's going on over your head when you are socked in with fog, clouds or when it's night time.

Coastal Marine Forecast. Perhaps the least accurate of my forecasting tools. A broad idea of what's on its way.

- Andy

Last edited:
Hi Kate onboard,

I use the basic, not subscription, sailflow.com, and it is usually in the ballpark. There's an app as well.

Hope that helps

Windy.com. Here's the forecast for my local area. It also has the wind forecasts for various altitudes above the surface. This can explain why the wind, and its strength, is happening or not happening at the surface.

iKitesurf.com. This gives you an idea as to what the winds are actually doing in comparison to the forecast.

Local, Detailed Meteorology Discussion. To understand the nuances and trends of how the weather works in a localized area.

Satellite Loop Of My Area.
To see what's coming, what passed by and what's going on over your head when you are socked in with fog, clouds or when it's night time.

Coastal Marine Forecast. Perhaps the least accurate of my forecasting tools. A broad idea of what's on its way.

- Andy

Cripes, Andyatos, you're better rigged than NASA for each nautical excursion, LOL... :confused:

besides all the standard survival equipment, wet suit for prolonged exposure, and competent sailing techniques, my focus is always on the measures before your activity, that will potentially save your life. whether its my Flying, hiking, off-roadin, hunting or sailing - for me - it’s the actions I take before hand that will ultimately save the day.

1) make sure someone has my sailing itinerary BEFORE I go out. If they don’t receive a call from me by this point in time, they should be calling me. If they can’t reach me by this point in time, they should be calling rescue.
2) perform an excellent preflight. Catch any weaknesses in lines, equipment, and the boat, BEFORE, you get on the water. Do your best to make your day “a problem on beach” - not a problem on the ocean.
3) Have your communication device, waterproofed somehow, usable, and secured to the boat somehow. (I use my iPhone secured in two separate freezer bags, secured in a fat sack, inside my inspection port.)
4) have the local search and rescue outfit from your area in your phone’s favorites, so it’s easy to dial the number if your hands are super cold, or you take a whack on the noggin. (Make it as easy as possible to get the number).
5) I make sure there is cell coverage where you I am sailing.
6) if ocean sailing, only sail on an ocean breeze. If you go down, the wind over time, will push you back to shore.
7) I always have the shore in sight at all times. (Countless stories of gear failure (compasses, etc.) where sailors lost their way and sailed “on a hunch” to try to get back to land. I don’t want to be that guy).
8) I make sure I am a competent sailor for the current ocean conditions and adjust my plan if need be. If I have never performed in two foot swells, I’ll super conservative on my route and length of sail. It’s good to have some experience in rough water, but be conservative in your learning exposure. Practice turtling the boat in rough water, in a controlled environment first. I don't want to be in very challenging conditions never having the worst case experience already under my belt.

bottom line - I want to do all the work, before I get on the water. I will be conservative. I will be pragmatic. I will make smart choices, with a back up plan.

Hope this is helpful,
whitecap.

Back