Looking for boat repair -

lenmar

We live in Baton Rouge but willing to drive to a good repair facility. I have an older Sunfish that is pretty good snap except a leak, not sure where. Think it might be in the daggerboard trunk. Any recommendations?

We live in Baton Rouge but willing to drive to a good repair facility. I have an older Sunfish that is pretty good shape except a leak, not sure where. Think it might be in the daggerboard trunk. Any recommendations?
That's a good guess: I'd try a moderate layer of 2- or 3-inches smeared along the bottom edges with $25-worth of Marine-Tex before committing to a "profe$$ional" repair.

YMMV.

:( Can you elaborate on what Marine-Tex might be. Just a note, I am completely unexperienced when it comes to boat repairs. Green as grass!

Sounds like a miracle concoction! . Guess I have to first find it then read the instruction on how to apply it! Any suggestions on where to find this "wonder-stuff"?
West Marine and most boat dealers should carry it. It's two parts of goo that you mix with the provided wooden spatula and apply wearing the provided glove. Used at the junction of the daggerboard trunk and hull, there's no point in sanding it to a smooth finish.

While it seems expensive, it can be used for later repairs around the house, and to fix chipped areas in the manufacturer's thin, hard, smooth surface applied overall to your Sunfish called "gelcoat". I learned of Marine-Tex' versatility at this forum. :)

We live in Baton Rouge but willing to drive to a good repair facility. I have an older Sunfish that is pretty good snap except a leak, not sure where. Think it might be in the daggerboard trunk. Any recommendations?

Look for water leaking out when you take it out of the water. Or look in the Sunfish Knowledge Base (Sunfish Knowledge Base | SailingForums.com) for Air Leak Test. Common leak areas are the gudgeon fitting, bailer/hull seam, daggerboard trunk and mast step. And on the aluminum trim boats you may have a split seam, usually around the bow or stern quarters.

Back