Looking for advice on a used Capri...

gripperone

I've been searching on and off for a little day sailer for a couple years and am just about to pull the trigger on a '93 Capri 14.2 for around $1,300 but got a little hesitant after seeing this pic:
Cracked Capri.JPG

The crack is a little difficult to see but it comes up from the right of the storage compartment. Is this a cause for concern? Possible rotting wood under the fiberglass? Thanks

Well, it definitely cracked right where it ought too, being a high stress area. I imagine that since the crack is near the mast, there should be some type of structural component (probably glass wood glass sandwich). If the wood were rotted, I would suspect that area to be soft, but since I only see (based on the picture) one long crack, it was probably caused by a “sudden” stress (like trailering the boat under a tree with the mast up — I doubt the crack happened under sail).

Either way, it should be an easy fix. See if you can bring down the price for repair. Also ask what caused the crack. If it happened “overtime” then you may have a structural issue.

For reference, this is a mast step that is rotting beneath the glass. Notice the many small cracks.
A6ABD369-01BE-4BB5-AAC3-CAFA3B90B6F4.jpeg

Thanks Ryan. I imagined it wouldn't be too extensive of a repair but I'm not sure how much it would change the purchase price....

The mast step bracket should be screwed in so that if a stay wire breaks, the mast step will rip from the deck. Step does not look bent al all from side pressure but it could have been replaced. If bolted, the fiberglass will stress and crack. If no stay wire has never been broken while sailing then the beam or wood support under that area of the deck is definitely rotten. Can only tell by removing the storage box and looking up. $300-$500 repair.

The mast step bracket should be screwed in so that if a stay wire breaks, the mast step will rip from the deck. Step does not look bent al all from side pressure but it could have been replaced. If bolted, the fiberglass will stress and crack. If no stay wire has never been broken while sailing then the beam or wood support under that area of the deck is definitely rotten. Can only tell by removing the storage box and looking up. $300-$500 repair.
Thanks Al sounds reasonable

Back