Status
Not open for further replies.

ClosetSciFiGeek

Price $
State
VIRGINIA
City
Suffolk
Looking for a Force 5 boom. I am working on a project Force Five right now and the boom is not right. Here's some pics of the damage I am finding in the discovery phase (two terribly faired repairs, small crack in bow, crack where it looks like it was dropped on a sharp edge on the starboard hard chine, and a terrible paint job where you can see every single brush stroke). I am doing all the repairs before completely re-rigging the old girl:IMG_20210407_174354.jpgIMG_20210407_152416.jpgIMG_20210407_174417.jpgIMG_20210407_174433.jpg

beldar boathead

force5class.org has a forum, maybe you could ask there if no one here has any leads. You could also post on their facebook page. Good luck!

Cactus Cowboy

Good news, OP, is that you can fix that entire 'grocery list' of repairs... nothing there too difficult to knock out and make right. :confused:

Once you finish the glasswork, I suggest sanding that bad paint job down and applying LP primer & paint, it'll make a world of difference... ;)

Moi, I'd lose that ugly red color too, but that's just my personal opinion, lol... hull would look nice in purple or deep blue. :rolleyes:

P.S. Nothin' wrong with Sci-Fi, my appreciation runs clear back to 'FORBIDDEN PLANET' and the original 'STAR TREK' series on TV... :cool:

ClosetSciFiGeek

I totally agree with you on the red. It was ugly to begin with IMO. Going to do a light blue bottom. Top in white gelcoat with some pale yellow non-skid areas.
I started using that handle, "ClosetSciFiGeek" prior to where I believe we made the turn and it became cool with the "Big Bang Theory" show! I appreciate your solidarity and history with the shows though Cactus Cowboy. I am partial to the original Battlestar Galactica circa late 1970's.

Cactus Cowboy

Yes, it used to be the domain of nerds, but good shows brought folks around... ;)

Hell, that 'FORBIDDEN PLANET' flick was WAY ahead of its time... :rolleyes:

Light blue sounds good... that was always my favorite part of the whole process, choosing a new color for a boat and bringing her back to life. :cool:

Alan S. Glos

Closetscifigeek.

There is a guy in Northfield, NY who restores and sells Force 5s and has also sold some Force 5 parts and gear, see this ad for a daggerboard:

I am guessing he might have a boom. Respond to his daggerboard ad and find out.

Good luck.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

ClosetSciFiGeek

Dang that is a ways. Shipping is probably atrocious for something like that. I appreciate it, but I don't get that far west. I usually work the East Coast. Thanks so much though.

sailcraftri

I have a Force 5 boom in Rhode Island. Needs a new gooseneck end cap. Contact me by PM or cjo1023 at yahoo dot com.

Last edited:

ClosetSciFiGeek

Hey thanks. Being able to buy parts may allow me to save this boom, just didn't know where to get them. Looks like I have to figure out if I have a '93 or earlier boat. I think it is safe to say it is prior to 1993 based on condition.

sailcraftri

Measure diameter of the gooseneck pin. Also the pin diameter on the rudder head. Originally 3/8” it was changed to 1/2”.

ClosetSciFiGeek

I did some searches and found a guy named Tony at GLMO that is helping me out. They 3D print it and even sell a gooseneck pin and your data of 3/8" and 1/2" checks out so I am feeling better that I can get an aluminum one from Weeks or a composite one from GLMO. You folks have been great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.