Looking for fishies to sail with!

Josephfinaz

I sail Lake St. Clair (Metro Detroit) on my sunfish, all recreational specifically! I’m looking for some local sunfish sailors who would be interested in tackling the wash of Lake St. Clair with me once weather permits!

You might check out the Greater Detroit Sunfish Club and join them for some racing.

I’m in SE Michigan, but typically just find a inland lake closer to me to sail.

Do you have a spot that you park and launch from? I haven’t tried sailing Lake St. Clair yet.

You might check out the Greater Detroit Sunfish Club and join them for some racing.

I’m in SE Michigan, but typically just find a inland lake closer to me to sail.

Do you have a spot that you park and launch from? I haven’t tried sailing Lake St. Clair yet.

I am still pretty much brand new to sailing, and have never raced, I’m completely self-taught and thoroughly enjoy it. I’d just hate to go out there and cause problems by being in the way, not to mention I’m not class legal, and no trailer to move the boat for inland lakes. I launch from my marina where the power boat is at, near belle maer marina. Lake st. Clair definitely isn’t calm by any means, I will say that. I’m hoping to cross from my marina to Harsens Island next summer on a week day when there isn’t so much traffic. If you know of anyone with a trailer please let me know!

Reactions: tag
I sail Lake St. Clair (Metro Detroit) on my sunfish, all recreational specifically! I’m looking for some local sunfish sailors who would be interested in tackling the wash of Lake St. Clair with me once weather permits!
You could join a Florida sail club; Halifax Sailing Association, Daytona Beach, for instance has 19 Sunfish to use along with Capri 14s, 16s, a couple of Catalina 22s and 25s available for use. Membership $200 annual. Book a cheapie air flight to Sanford FL or Daytona airport for the weekend or longer. Also 2 weekend sunfish classes starting later in the spring. www.halifaxsailing.org

I am still pretty much brand new to sailing, and have never raced, I’m completely self-taught and thoroughly enjoy it. I’d just hate to go out there and cause problems by being in the way, not to mention I’m not class legal, and no trailer to move the boat for inland lakes.
I’m self taught as well, and have never raced either. I’m a member of the Sunfish Class, but my boat isn’t class legal either. I keep meaning to meet up with the GDSC, but it doesn’t happen.
I’ve sailed 4 of the 5 Great Lakes on my Sunfish, and would like to add Lake St Clair. Will keep you in mind when the weather warms up!

I'm game! I've sailed in Lake St. Clair in 'Ruby' my upgraded '70 Sunfish several times. Didn't make it out in '20 but went out several time late in 2018 and again in 2019. I typically have launched out of Brandenburg park (See google maps link). I've also trailered over to Canada once and launched on the Canadian side at Lakeview West Park (See google maps link). Lake St. Clair's shallowness is challenging. Where do you typically launch from?

I'm game! I've sailed in Lake St. Clair in 'Ruby' my upgraded '70 Sunfish several times. Didn't make it out in '20 but went out several time late in 2018 and again in 2019. I typically have launched out of Brandenburg park (See google maps link). I've also trailered over to Canada once and launched on the Canadian side at Lakeview West Park (See google maps link). Lake St. Clair's shallowness is challenging. Where do you typically launch from?

Seems like you're a bit north of me! I launch from my Marina where the power boat is docked, we have a launch there. I typically stay pretty close to shore, but sailing solo on Lake St. Clair can get hairy, considering my marina is, in fact, surrounded by 4 or 5 others as well. I'd like to see what the launch situation is like at Brandenburg myself, I just need to find a trailer this off-season!

Seems like you're a bit north of me! I launch from my Marina where the power boat is docked, we have a launch there. I typically stay pretty close to shore, but sailing solo on Lake St. Clair can get hairy, considering my marina is, in fact, surrounded by 4 or 5 others as well. I'd like to see what the launch situation is like at Brandenburg myself, I just need to find a trailer this off-season!
If I were to join you at your marina, how/where would I launch?

Hello I see it’s a year later but hoping you see this message. I am also looking for sailing companion to sail Lake St Clair. I have been learning for the last few years. Amd am a member of the GDSC but looking for a closer place to sail so I can get more Experience. Also looking for a place to easily launch.

Hello I see it’s a year later but hoping you see this message. I am also looking for sailing companion to sail Lake St Clair. I have been learning for the last few years. Amd am a member of the GDSC but looking for a closer place to sail so I can get more Experience. Also looking for a place to easily launch.
Hi Denise! Where are you located? I’m in St Clair Shores, we have lots of public launches here, but I usually launch north from my marina where we keep the big boat/skis, near Belle Maer and MacRay harbor! Hoping to get north into st Clair county this year, sail the flats, harsens, etc

I’m self taught as well, and have never raced either. I’m a member of the Sunfish Class, but my boat isn’t class legal either. I keep meaning to meet up with the GDSC, but it doesn’t happen.
I’ve sailed 4 of the 5 Great Lakes on my Sunfish, and would like to add Lake St Clair. Will keep you in mind when the weather warms up!
I really like that you have sailed four of the five Great Lakes in your Sunfish, Tag. That's pretty awesome!

Reactions: tag
Hi Denise! Where are you located? I’m in St Clair Shores, we have lots of public launches here, but I usually launch north from my marina where we keep the big boat/skis, near Belle Maer and MacRay harbor! Hoping to get north into st Clair county this year, sail the flats, harsens, etc
I am north of you in the Port Huron area

Back