Looking at a Sailfish

Beekeeper

I've been in contact with a guy that has a Sailfish for sale on the boats listing on western Ma craigslist for $400, was wondering if anyone has any comments on a Sailfish good or bad. I really don't need the boat, but it looks to be in great condition and with a portsmouth handicap rating of 118 it would be nice on light wind race days at my club. Plus, I like older boats that are in good shape, it would complement my 1972 fish. From my looking around on the forum I'm guessing Signal Charlie would be the one for advice. Thanks

My experience with Portsmouth handicap racing and Sunfish is that they are poor light wind performers. Most of our local handicap races are done without a wind speed correction on the handicap so that might be a factor. But in my experience the smaller round hull boats like Cape Dory 10, Montgomery 10, Yankee Clippers, and other similar boats tend to do better on handicap in light air. The Sunfish seems to have a chance once it can stretch it legs, say 8 plus knots of breeze.

I saw that ad, too. It is in especially nice condition and I’m sure would get many compliments. At $400 the price is certainly more than fair. On the other hand, I think you’ll find your Sunfish to be more comfortable and a better sail, especially if you have the newer rudder style.

Thanks guys, I actually took a first and a second in two races at our club on the Conn. River two weeks ago in light and variable winds with my sunfish against a variety of boats racing that day. From a mariner to a mutineer and Hobie holder, etc. My fish would for sure be more comfortable, my mfg copperhead is even nicer but I like the looks of that sailfish and would welcome it into my fleet. Let's see what happens, we've connected and he knows I'm interested.

Fiberglass or wooden? Either way they are very fun, wet boats. The main thing on a fiberglass Sailfish, aka Super Sailfish MKII, is the weight. Wet foam is no bueno in a MKII, very hard to repair correctly. The MKII should weigh 98 pounds. We had one that was 127, which is why we sold it. The buyer was very familiar with them as his childhood boat, and didn't care, as he wanted it for his son.

Specs Alcort Sailfish Sunfish.jpeg

And check security of the handrails, if the backer blocks are rotted that is another difficult repair that involves splitting the deck/hull seam, to do it properly. Handrails are essential for heel stops when sailing.

The Sailfish is a nautical Total Gym, and sheet management is key to not getting tangled up and capsizing. Easier to lean back when tacking vs leaning forward. 2 people on a Sailfish is fun, one up by the mast for ballast.

Sailfish also makes a very stable SUP or Sit On Top kayak.

Audrey Sweetness SUP mast up.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

You'll be the only one sailing when there is no wind

Thanks, Charlie, for your reply, I knew enough from reading and lurking that you were the guy I needed to hear from. I will check these issues before committing, still in the wait and see phase with this seller. It's a fiberglass hull, blue much like the one skipper is on in your pics, sail and hardware look good in the pics, but have not seen it in person yet. Will ask questions and report back.

He who hesitates, I was going to look at and most likely pick up that sailfish this week and somebody showed up on Sat and grabbed it. My weekend is kinda full and he was over an hour away and couldn't make it fit. Oh well, always looking.

Back