Long distance sailing

Alexperfusion

Hi to all my name is Alex Ive being sailing for the last 2 years. And now Im planning a nonstop long distance sailing along the pacific coast of ecuador. Its gonna be like 350 nm and around three days of sailing. I would appreciate if someone could give me any tips on packing, energy for radio gps, watter food, everything for a small bote like a sunfish.

Thanks in advance, Alex

1) Because you can't "keep a proper watch" in a vessel without a crew (nonstop), I don't think this is a legal effort (maritime law). :oops:

2) When you write, "small boat like a Sunfish", is your boat a different manufacturer? (Hoping). :(

3) On the other hand, there are successful saltwater trips reported on this forum. I don't know of any two by the same captain. :rolleyes:

350 miles in 3 days on a Sunfish?
After three hours, I get a sore, ummmm, "transom". :confused:

But, here are preparations for day-sailing a 58-miler:

:cool:
Safety tips for sailing alone, including an "emergency beacon", called an EPIRB:

:oops:
Sailing at night:

Last edited:
Well tnx to everyone for tips and reply. Im not a nartive english spoken person maybe I used the nonstop word in a wrong way. What I was traying to say is im not planning to stop on land but there are a bunch of fishersman mooring. Im not planning to get support From land neigther. I want to sail around 20 hours a day including some night hours. For the last two month Ive being increasing the distance. Ive done like 5 full day tours of ñor thank 25nm the average speed its low because its not the windy season yet.
for safety I got a Mcmurdo fastfind. And a car From the club would give ground support (follow up and coms), Im planning to install a white light on top of the mast. But Im really concern how Im i gonna deal with the power issue for my electronics and light.

tnx Alex

A small solar panel might recharge batteries while you're cruising... and 350nm is NOT out of the question IF the wind is steady on your quarter or you're running free. If you have a support crew on land, even one guy or gal in an old VW, well, at least you'd have moral support to keep ya sailing, LOL. :cool:

Don't be flustered by obstacles, but don't be 'estupido' about 'em either, just get the gear ya need to SAFELY make the voyage and give it your best shot... hey, if ya only make 200nm, I'll still be impressed, AYE??? :D

If you're really on it, you'll have pizza delivery set up for each mooring, LOL... and watch those pesky 2-ton Great Whites, they're absolute hogs for Italian food (among other things, including whole Sunfish & Sunfish knockoff sailors). :eek:

Moi, I'd have to haul an XL soft cooler for all the beer I'd drink on such a voyage... lash that sonofab!tch in place and go to town, like one big PAR-TAY!!! Tinnies only, unlike bottles they'll cut the ballast once they're drained, and there'll be no broken glass in the cockpit to present a safety hazard, LOL. ;)

Last but not least, wait for a good weather forecast to make your voyage, no point in being miserable out there or losing your life due to bad judgment... the whole idea is to HAVE A GOOD TIME UNDER WAY, or the BEST TIME POSSIBLE, "Comprende?" No NAUTICAL EPICS with loss of life, LOL. :confused:

"BUENA SUERTE, AMIGO, EN SU BARCO DE VELA!!! SALUD!!!" :rolleyes:

Thankyou very much for your words ill keep in touch I cant wait for this quarantine ends my best wishes for your families

Alex

sounds overly ambitious....but glad you will have pre-planned stops so you can abort when your back gives out!

Thanks. This Covid-19 will disappear eventually. ;)

A prevailing wind (if there is to be one) should determine:

1) Which side of the mast the sail/gooseneck can be attached.

2) Which side gets the heavier gear stowed. (Heaviest gear should be forward).

3) Location of solar array.

2) Which side gets the heavier gear stowed. (Heaviest gear should be forward).

Why would heaviest gear go forward? Sunfish have a short bow and are prone to submarining in waves and a breeze. Seems your reco would worsen the problem, but maybe I am missing something.

I've come close to submarining, but never have. "Coming close" was kinda scary though, and the boat slows down a lot. :oops: When the boat suddenly slows, I don't want a heavy load shifting from the rear. :eek: Like aircraft have a "Loadmaster" position, how you load the Sunfish is important.

Most of the loads I've seen on Sunfish have been secured with bungee cords and nets. Placing the heavy gear forward would move the skipper to a more comfortable position in light or moderate breezes. (Well, this skipper). :rolleyes:

If you add an anchor as I've suggested, then that changes the loading:

Placing the heavy gear forward would move the skipper to a more comfortable position in light or moderate breezes.

Since he says he plans to go in the windy season, placing heavy gear forward is unwise if the preference is to avoid submarining and wipeouts once the rudder comes out is the water whilst submarining.

Depending on the journey, Alex may have help from the Humboldt Current, which would change his apparent wind.

Going with a current would also reduce wave action, but during my saltwater years with catamarans, I have NO experience at Sunfish speeds.

Last edited:

Back