Line types for laser pro

Levent

Hi,

is it possible to identify a line type (e.g. spectra, spectra solid) by the color code e.g. red with blue, yellow and green dots.

I have a line that looks like spectra solid 3/16 but is only 10 ' 6" feet long, the only place to put it is on the Vang, according to the Fogh Marine Laser pro line information it should be a spectra but mine looks like a spectra solid, it's all green (turquoise) and really look like a spectra solid, it looks like the list does not match the original equipment.

I also have 2 (spectra?) line of 13 feet and 11'6", they look of the same type but I am not 100% sure, one red with black and yellow dots, the other is red with green, yellow and blue dots.

The boat is a 2004, the previous owner says everything is original.

Does the rope have a core? Can you pull the middle of the rope from outer. If not, it is probably only one type of rope. Best way to tell if it is spectra is to put the rope to your lips. Spectra is colder then the Poly ropes (ie polyester) and your lips are sensitive enough to tell.
And Spectra is always best for a laser! Lasts longer.

. Best way to tell if it is spectra is to put the rope to your lips. Spectra is colder then the Poly ropes (ie polyester) and your lips are sensitive enough to tell.

Both types are not at ambiant temperature? I'd like to know the physics of that!

Hi,

thank you all for the information. I think the two red lines are spectra (they have a core) and the blue is solid spectra.

The blue is colder than the 2 red lines and is made of one material, it's certainly a spectra solid.

According to Fogh Marine the vang should be a spectra not a spectra solid. The equipment is all original that's why I'm confused, of course I can sail the boat but I like it when it's the right way.

Attachments

• Laser rigging 005.jpg
    Laser rigging 005.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Laser rigging 008.jpg
    Laser rigging 008.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Laser rigging 004.jpg
    Laser rigging 004.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 55
Both types are not at ambiant temperature? I'd like to know the physics of that!

Not sure on the physics, but it's definitely true.

I have some spectra webbing and some polyester webbing at home and the spectra is clearly colder to the touch

Hypothesis:

Lips are at 37 C. Line is at room temp., say 20 C. Once you put the line between your lips, there will be heat transfer from the lips to the line. One type of line may have a different heat transfer coefficient compared to another type (or, in ordinary words, conduct heat differently). Hence, the 'feel' on the lips will be different.

Hello,
lol it's funny how the last few posts haven't really had anything to do with your topic...

Anyways, from the first attachment, it's pretty evident to me which types of line are which. The ones that don't feel slippery are called excel racing, and they do come stock from vanguard. The others are called spectra, which feel really slippery and tough to hold. As far as your topic, I'm not sure why you wanted to know.... you know what to do with all these lines, correct?

attached is your photo with illustrations showing which lines are which, and a stock photo from APS on excel racing, the line you have.

edit: ok, the vang is composed of two parts, a primary and a cascade. For some reason, yours is backwards, with a main part being 'spectra solid', and it is cleated. The cascade is excel racing. The reason this is backwards is because the cascade is normally just spectra solid to provide easy adjustment, while the primary is excel racing for easier handling or cleating. That is definitely not original hardware on the vang, it looks like he switched them around. It should work fine, but it may slip.
As far as the other lines, the middle coiled red/purple/yellow line is the downhaul. The top red line is the outhaul, with the yellow line atttached to it being the mast pulley lines. I suppose the pink spectra on the right is a mast retainer line?

hope I helped,
Dylan

Attachments

• 7179-1.jpg
    7179-1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Laser rigging 005 copy.jpg
    Laser rigging 005 copy.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 71
Hi ! yeh ! it really helps ! thank you.

I had a few reasons to ask but primary I wanted to make sure that no lines have been switch which is the case according to your information. I already use the boat regularly so I know how to rig it.

I am not sure if you have noticed but the excel racing, (the purple one) on the vang is only 1/8 " is it normal ? isn't it too small ?

If I summarize:

1- All the lines are excel racing except:

the pink (1/8), I use it for the cunningham primary, which is spectra solid
The turquoise (one color) on the vang that is spectra solid too

2- I need to switch the 2 lines on the vang

Other:

If I understand correctly I could use excel racing everywhere, I was told that the spectra solid is sensitive to U.V, actually mine is starting to change color already.

Thank you again

Spectra/Dyneema is not sensitive to UV - what you are seeing is the coating wearing off. (Spectra/Dyneema is naturally white)

If you switch the two lines currently on the vang, I don't think the thin line will be long enough for the 5 purchase and I don't think it will hold in the cam cleat.

If you look on www.apsltd.com you'll see the recommended lines for the vang. (Normally it's a 12 strand single braid for the 3-1 section)

Hey,

Yeah, it will not work to switch the purple excel racing with the turquoise spectra because the turquoise is too long and the purple excel racing is too thin and small.
What you want in the end is to have 3/16" or 5mm excel racing or whatever you prefer (some prefer maffioli swiftcord, but then your lines won't match.:() for the vang primary - where the turquoise spectra is now. Then, you'll want about 5 feet of 3mm / 1/8" amsteel blue, a type of spectra for where your purple excel racing is now.

And yes, you COULD use excel racing everywhere, but that wouldn't run as well. My boat came with all NE ROPES finish line, but the outhaul wouldn't budge, and the vang didn't ease out in light wind. I replaced the vang cascade with spectra solid (Ultrex 12) as well as the outhaul cascade. It now runs very well. Spectra is also very strong.

You said that the spectra solid was already starting to turn white. This is because they are coated with a proprietary coating, which varies between manufacturers. (Yale uses Maxijacket coating, Samson uses Samthane coating, and some come without any) This coating reduces friction for better running and it also improves UV resistance, because every line breaks down from the sun after a while. It wears off as you use it, and it is recommended by the coating's makers to reapply every year. However, the coating costs a lot, so you're stuck with a half white, half pink/whatever color for a while. That's just the way it is, and it doesn't mean your line is wearing down.

lol beware the WALL OF TEXT!!!

hope I answered your questions thoroughly...
dylan

Back