Lightning Strikes

SXR700

Hey, I know that there are posts about lightning strikes and such while sailing but I have one thing i would like to mention which doesnt quite make sense to me.
I sail in Toronto Canada, and I have a huge fear of lightning and I race alot, and at least a couple of times a year, I get thunder storms while racing. what makes no sense to me in this situation is how the race comitty seems to not care one bit there is lightning all around, but that if theres wind, we continue sailing until radioed to head in immidiatly (dont forget you are about 30 mins from shore... plenty of time to get struck). so I have this to ask, If you are confronted by a Lightning storm while racing, and are not told to head in what should you do? and how dangerous is it to just sit out on the water while a weather system is on top of your head?

MAX:confused:

Hey, I know that there are posts about lightning strikes and such while sailing but I have one thing i would like to mention which doesnt quite make sense to me.
I sail in Toronto Canada, and I have a huge fear of lightning and I race alot, and at least a couple of times a year, I get thunder storms while racing. what makes no sense to me in this situation is how the race comitty seems to not care one bit there is lightning all around, but that if theres wind, we continue sailing until radioed to head in immidiatly (dont forget you are about 30 mins from shore... plenty of time to get struck). so I have this to ask, If you are confronted by a Lightning storm while racing, and are not told to head in what should you do? and how dangerous is it to just sit out on the water while a weather system is on top of your head?

I get the hell out of there. I don't wait for the race committee to decide anything.

So you wont care if you get DNS? I honsetly dont either lol, but i sail 420 so my crew beats my ass afterward :-/

MAX

"It is always the skippers responsibility to make their own decision regarding their participation in any race."

I have seen this clause included in many of the sailing instructions of the regatta's I have participated in.

Bottom line....it's not like there is a million dollars riding on your finish in the race/series you are in. If you don't feel comfortable, get the hell out of there. I have often found that if one or two boats decide to head in, many more follow, regardless of the decision the race committee is making.

Also remember that in many situations, the competitors on the race course have more experience than the race committee. Sometimes the committee is looking for some guidance from the competitors.

Mike Fortner
Rochester Canoe Club

Lightning isn't something to fool around with especially on a small boat, it doesn't even take a direct hit to cause serious damage. Lightning struck in my back yard about 30ft away from me a year or 2 ago and I nearly hit the ceiling I jumped soo high (and I was inside!). I would not want to be on the water anywhere's near lightning in my laser and definitely wouldn't want to end up in the water. Any sensible RC will cancel immediatley if there is lightning, and they should tow you in as well.

It is extremely dangerous to sail a small boat when there is lightning,

it is always your descision to race, I would not feel bad for one second if I sailed in because of thunder and lightning.

Alan Glos (he posts here quite a bit) sent me a link to this article he wrote about being out on a calm lake with a thunderstorm flying down on him:
I had a clear view toward the west side of the lake and to my horror I saw a classic line squall bearing down on me and my becalmed boat at an alarming rate of speed. The leading edge of the squall line was jagged, full of rain and possibly hail, and looked grey/white in color – like the underbelly of a Great White Shark (all negative connotations intended!) I had been in several squalls like this before, and while rather exciting, they didn’t strike me as all that dangerous. However, this squall was full of lightning with many full cloud to ground strikes occurring every few seconds.

The full article is here: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/guest/glos.htm

cheers,
tag

Interesting situation in the article. Did he ever decide which route was safer (in the water or in the boat)?

I probably would have tried to de-rig.

Back