light outboard motor

wsherden

I currently have a 4hp 4 stroke outboard that weighs 60 lbs and am looking for something much lighter, say under 30 lbs. I recently found a new air cooled 2 hp 4 stroke that weighs 27 lbs, but am concerned that it does not have the hp to power a j24 (despite the dealer's assurances). I am also considering 2 stroke engines in the 3.5 hp range. Can anyone recommend a good light motor for a j24?

I currently have a 4hp 4 stroke outboard that weighs 60 lbs and am looking for something much lighter, say under 30 lbs. I recently found a new air cooled 2 hp 4 stroke that weighs 27 lbs, but am concerned that it does not have the hp to power a j24 (despite the dealer's assurances). I am also considering 2 stroke engines in the 3.5 hp range. Can anyone recommend a good light motor for a j24?

The class standard has been the 3.5 hp Tohatsu or one of its other incarnations. 2 strokes are no longer sold in most countries, so you would have to find one used. Good luck on that. The 2 hp should push the boat well enough to get you home in no air and light current, but strong wind, waves and strong current will probably be too much for it. It also needs to be about 31 lbs. to be class legal for racing. The 2 hp will be almost legal if the new rules conversion is adopted - 27.5 lbs. Other options may become available in the future too.

Back