Lifting Harness Specs needed for Capri 14.2 Mod 2

U

Unregistered

Does anyone have the specs (lenghts and attachement areas) for a lifting harness for a Mod 2 Capri 14.2? The yacht club where I sail has limited ramp access for boats on trailers but great access to the water with single point electric boat lifts. I need to know where to attach to in the boat and what lenghts to make each leg of the harness so the boat is balanced. This boat is new to me so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance ... Chris ([email protected])

I suggest writing the support agents at CatalinaYachts.com

They have been very helpful with every question I have had. They have an online help / support form.

Good luck, Dave

Lifting Sling

Some clubs use a hoist for lifting boats in and out of the water. For the Capri 14.2 the hoisting sling attaches to shackles added to the shroud bases and to the aft hiking strap fitting. The lines come together just forward of the barney post, about 3' up. Tie the lines to a heavy duty stainless steel ring at the apex. To attach at the shakles, use heavy-duty SS carabiners. Make the two fwd. lines about 6' long each and the aft one about 8' long. Use heavy line, NLT 3/8". Tie them in with bowlines and make the final adjustments to them at the hoist, where you can raise the boat a few inches and try it out. Best if the boat hangs down by the bow slightly.

Transom Lifting Point

I received a lifting harness diagram from Catalina. It was intended for the 16.5 but with adjustments to the lenghts it worked fine. They suggest that I run a line through the cockpit drains for the stern lifting point and not use the hiking strap eye. I'm not sure if this is because the 14.2 is not reinforced enough at that point or because the 16.5 does not come standard with hiking straps and may not have this eye.

I would be interested to know if anyone who regularly "hoists" their boat into the water and ties off on the hiking strap eye has noticed any damage (ie. spider cracks, transom deflection, etc.)

If anyone would like a copy of the 16.5 harness diagram please let me know. I will measure and note the dimensions from my boat on the plan. I can be reached via email at [email protected].

Chris E.
________
K75C

When shackled to the hiking strap fitting, the bridle tends to bend the fitting. Going out one of the drain holes, across and back inside, tying a bowline around the standing end is a secure and sturdy method.

The club I recently joined has a similar arrangement as the one described by Chris E. A number of years ago the club purchased a few Mod IIs for beginner/novice sailing lessons. Two remain, and are used once in a while in some club one-design races.

The lifting bridle they use consists of a heavy-duty stainless steel ring (per Ed's note) with a forward 1/4" steel cable (eye terminations each end) that connects to the bow fitting eye using a caribiner. An aft steel cable with same termination is hooked onto the aft hiking strap fitting. This arrangement carries the bulk of the load, with two 3/8" lines tied to the ring and tensioned in the jib cleats providing some lateral stability.

I put my Mod II in last weekend using this rig and everything went well. I do like the idea of going through the drain holes and will try this next time as the hiking strap fitting was probably not intended for lifting purposes by the designer.

Cheers.

Paul S.

Back