Life Vest Recommendations

torrid

Just sailing
When it comes to recreational boating in the US, some of the policing of the waters is done by the Coast Guard. However, most of it is done by state-level parks and wildlife officers. Having the Coast Guard set national standard was probably seen as a better alternative than having fifty different state standards. As to why they don't conform to the international ISO standard, I don't know.

... which amazes me when I see the pics of last Summer's Youth Sailing Championship in Corpus Christi. The Dutch sailors like Emma (2nd Radial girls) and Laila and Bjarne (4th Nacra 15) wear their own vests. To be sure, I'll ask them just to be sure this weekend when the whole Youth TeamNL is at Scheveningen as part of the Autumn training.

Menno

LaLi

I believe that whenever an international regatta is held in the United States, the Coast Guard looks the other way...

And thinking about my US collegiate sailing days, I always wore my Rukka vest and no one ever complained about it, although it definitely wasn't approved by anyone but the Scandinavian consumer authorities.

3eb695f23c5e4a9fb8ebc223276d606c.jpg

_

... if those Rukka items are on par with recommended items from Salora/Nokia/Saab/Volvo and a few other Scandinavian producers, I wouldn't hesitate and wear it without a problem.

Menno

torrid

Just sailing
In my 25+ years of sailing small sailboats in multiple states, I have had no dealing on the water with law enforcement. Not checking equipment, and certainly not looking for CG approval in the small print on a life jacket.

They are mostly concerned with two things - drunks on the water, and people with no life jacket at all. They see some guy on a small sailboat with no motor who is wearing a PFD and minding his own business, they figure they have bigger problems to deal with.

Sounds like our law enforcement people! Speeding where it's not allowed is one other item here. (We don't have endless lakes or shores like the US; it's all more or less cramped).

LaLi

In my 25+ years of sailing small sailboats in multiple states, I have had no dealing on the water with law enforcement. Not checking equipment, and certainly not looking for CG approval in the small print on a life jacket.
I meant by "looking the other way" that the organizers of international events in the US don't enforce national regulations; it would of course be smart to say that in the Notice Of Race and the Sailing Instructions.

They are mostly concerned with two things - drunks on the water, and people with no life jacket at all. They see some guy on a small sailboat with no motor who is wearing a PFD and minding his own business, they figure they have bigger problems to deal with.
Some 15 years ago I was actually stopped sailing my Laser about 100 m from my club by a police boat. The officer tested me if I was sailing intoxicated (I wasn't)... The funny thing was that he had a reporter from a local paper on board, so the whole thing got well documented, although I believe those pictures were never published.

_

torrid

Just sailing
I meant by "looking the other way" that the organizers of international events in the US don't enforce national regulations; it would of course be smart to say that in the Notice Of Race and the Sailing Instructions.
I think some international regattas use wording in the NOR like "must have a PFD approved for use in their home country" which allows sailors to avoid having to travel with multiple PFDs or buy one just for a single regatta. Seems lawyers could have fun with that if something bad happened.

Some 15 years ago I was actually stopped sailing my Laser about 100 m from my club by a police boat. The officer tested me if I was sailing intoxicated (I wasn't)... The funny thing was that he had a reporter from a local paper on board, so the whole thing got well documented, although I believe those pictures were never published.

_
They would generally need probably cause. Had you capsized just before he stopped you?

andyatos

Thread starter #30
So, based on the sizing chart from Zhik, I ordered a Zhik P2 PFD Large. I'm 5' 11", 180 lbs. Their chart is pretty detailed and even if I was taller and weighed more, I would still fit within their Large recommendation.

Well, I just got my P2 PDF in a Large and tried it on. It wasn't even close to the right size. I could barely get the zipper closed. I don't have a gut and my chest and upper back is wider than my middle. That is where it was the tightest, in the chest area. I'm 42.5 inches around my chest when I'm not breathing and 45 when I take a big breath and hold it.

So, I'll be sending my Large back and getting an Extra Large. Just an FYI for anyone who thinks about ordering a Zhik P2 PFD.

- Andy

Dang, Andy.... I should've warned you. I'm about exactly your size and I also couldn't zip up my XL that I got week before last! Just a few minutes ago I received the replacement XXL, and now I can get it zipped. If you haven't already sent it back, I'd recommend the XXL!

andyatos

Thread starter #32
Hi Dennis!

No... I haven't sent it back yet. Wow... even an XL didn't fit you?!

Hey, I'm going to be seeing you on Sunday at Drake's, right? If so, can I try on your XXL? That would be a good test.

- Andy

Yes, I don't know my chest measurements but my shoulders and upper chest was where it was tight. You're welcome to try my XXL, but the Drakes days aren't until Sat/Sun Nov 24-25.

andyatos

Thread starter #34
Let me guess... the 11th was the day you were going to be able to start sailing again due to your impressive visiting-with-friends schedule, not a Drake's day?