Life line solo sailing

Movingmen1

Recently I have been sailing in a public lake and as the year progresses I see fewer and fewer boats on the lake. Meaning fewer opportunities for assistance if something happens. Added to that I have seen Youtube videos of solo sailors falling into the water and trying to get back on their boat but the boat is sailing away and they haven't rigged a lifeline. I have a ladder and the boat should head into the wind and into irons effectively stopping the boat if I let go of the mainsheet, but if you are using the tiller tamer and cleat off your mainsheet isn't there a chance the boat can sail a fair distance on its own?? Has anyone rigged a lifeline? See any real need for one? As I get older I seem to be getting more cautious and tend to overthink things, thanks.

Looks like you need a sailing buddy. Short of that I would recommend sailing on main only, much less to tend to. Wear life jacket and sail upright if you know what I mean. Can still have a great time sailing with the sail let out so the boat never feels like it is going to go over, let the sheet line out quick. I don't even have the hiking straps on my boat. For one I don't want to hike out and two they are no longer in my way if they are not there. I want to stay in the boat. Nothing wrong with that.

Recently I have been sailing in a public lake and as the year progresses I see fewer and fewer boats on the lake. Meaning fewer opportunities for assistance if something happens. Added to that I have seen Youtube videos of solo sailors falling into the water and trying to get back on their boat but the boat is sailing away and they haven't rigged a lifeline. I have a ladder and the boat should head into the wind and into irons effectively stopping the boat if I let go of the mainsheet, but if you are using the tiller tamer and cleat off your mainsheet isn't there a chance the boat can sail a fair distance on its own?? Has anyone rigged a lifeline? See any real need for one? As I get older I seem to be getting more cautious and tend to overthink things, thanks.
Might try 40' light floating line stringing behind to grasp in case you fall out. Loop of mesh strap looped out transom drain to use as a foot hold to climb back in. Test it, works fine for me.

When I capsized my crew went to the centerboard and I went to the gunnel that was in the water and held on. When the boat started to right it scooped me up into the boat. Then I healed the boat toward my crew and he held on to the shroud and pulled himself up, with some difficulty I might add. WFM.

Back