Life Jacket (PFD) Updated recommendations?

tkjazzer

Hello,

Looks like extrasport stopped making the classic challenger lifejacket:
f_37269_1.jpg

Anyone have any recommendations on what life jacket to try next?

Thanks,

I just skimmed that post again (and did so before posting), I only see one, correction, two life jackets recommended. I'm looking for a list of popular life jackets among laser sailors.

First you have to tell us if you need a USCG approved version or not - The Euro/Canadian/Down Under approved models have above half the amount of foam

He I live in the USA, I think I would like a life jacket that is approved by our coast guard. The point of wearing a life jacket is to keep you up if you get knocked out... right?

Plus I hear from searching other posts that some races require uscg.

Do type III and IV really work if you are knocked out?

To be honest, I don't know if my challenger would work if I were knocked out. Will have to test it out.

I have never been hit in the head on my laser and imagine I would only knock out on a bigboat where I usually don't wear a lifejacket... but probably should buy an inflatable one...

I've been hit on 420s, jy15 - but that was when I was learning how to sail and often was crewing.

I have seen some really experienced sailors get hit on big boats and I never can figure out why they didn't feel the windshift on their neck and drive or duck appropriately.

Nexus s typo on screwing - but good idea for emotional memory enhancement.

Only Type IV is rated to keep your head above water if you are unconscious. But they are really bulky around the neck and I can't imagine sailing a Laser with one. An inflatable doesn't seem too practical on a Laser. $20 to recharge. Go for a Type III with a low profile in the back so it doesn't get caught up on the boom. Big armholes for range of motion. A pocket for your gloves and whistle would be nice, too. A water sports helmet is a nice option in high winds if you are clumsy like me.

Any of the USCG approved models will keep you afloat, but the most common ones used for sailing (type III or V)will not turn you face up if you are knocked out. As Merrily said above, the ones that do are not practical for Laser sailing.. When I'm racing I'm counting somewhat on my fellow competitors to look out for me, same as do for them.. By yourself, training, if your prone to getting whacked on the head and knocked out, either talk someone else into going out with you to train with, or get the helmut mentioned above

Sterns makes a similar model to the Kokatat that you looked at, for less then 1/2 the price here.. http://www.usaboatstore.com/Stearns-Aqueoustrade-Extreme-Paddle-Vest.aspx?feed=Froogle I have the Sterns version (when it branded by Cabelas) and I'm happy with it.

If possible, I'd suggest getting into a store when you can try on a few models and see which one feels right for you.

Back