Learning more about a Laser 2 I might buy

msweetk

Hi! I’m very new here but have seen a good amount of helpful, recent chatter about Laser 2’s and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me date a boat I’m considering buying.

The number on the transom is ZFS01191M80L but the sails, likely original, have no number. The boat is in good used condition, but it looks like it’s on the older side.

I sailed 420’s in high school and college (20 years ago!) and was peripherally aware of Laser 2’s then; I do know they’re no longer raced in fleets but that’s not important to me. I’m looking for something to sail with my son (8) who just had his first summer of junior sailing and is now smitten! I’ve been doing as much research as I can and this forum has been very helpful!

The seller is asking $1000 with trailer (no trap or shoot) but I am hoping to make a fair, but lower, offer. Thanks in advance for any words of warning and/or encouragement!

Hi! I’m very new here but have seen a good amount of helpful, recent chatter about Laser 2’s and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me date a boat I’m considering buying.

The number on the transom is ZFS01191M80L but the sails, likely original, have no number. The boat is in good used condition, but it looks like it’s on the older side.

I sailed 420’s in high school and college (20 years ago!) and was peripherally aware of Laser 2’s then; I do know they’re no longer raced in fleets but that’s not important to me. I’m looking for something to sail with my son (8) who just had his first summer of junior sailing and is now smitten! I’ve been doing as much research as I can and this forum has been very helpful!

The seller is asking $1000 with trailer (no trap or chute) but I am hoping to make a fair, but lower, offer. Thanks in advance for any words of warning and/or encouragement!

I figured it out, thanks to another forum post - 1980, Performance Sailcraft in Montreal. $1000 seems a bit high for a 41 year old boat, even in fine condition… but I’m happy to be corrected on that!

have seen a good amount of helpful, recent chatter about Laser 2’s
Nice to hear that we've been of help :)
ZFS01191M80L
So you already know what some of that means... and it also says the sail number is 1191, and the building month is July. Which in turn means it was built only some six months after the whole class got started.

The price is highly dependent of the quality and condition of the included trailer. However, if the boat lacks 1) a spinnaker & equipment, 2) a trolley, or 3) covers, then the 1000 dollars is probably the highest reasonable price no matter what.

The Laser 2 should be a great boat for an adult and a kid :) The spinnaker is a bit heavy for an 8-year-old to handle, but that sounds like something you'll add later anyway.

_

Looks like a lot of fun for the two of you for not much money, assuming the boat doesn't need a lot of work.

Thank you LaLi and Wavedancer for your quick and helpful responses! I decided to pass on the boat because the trailer situation is dubious at best…in PA where I am, it’s very difficult to register a trailer that has no existing title like this one. It would need an inspection and I don’t think it’s up to the task. If I lived on or near the water and didn’t have to get on the highway and drive for an hour+ to get to a sailing spot it would be fine, or maybe if I was sailing with another adult who could help me get it on/off the car… but not in the cards this time around. I’ve loved the excuse to learn more about these boats, though, and I’m grateful for your help!!

Back