leaky laser boats HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED

shane6890

hello everyone

i bought a sencond hand laser 4.7 quite a while ago now and recently it has developed a leak somewere in the hull. Does anyone know were they usually leak from and or how to pinpoint this leak. i have no idea :confused:

cheers shane :D

Re: leaky laser boats HELP DESPRATLEY NEEDED

coat your hull and rails in water mixed with dish detergent... attach a shop vac to some duct tape and tape the inspection port shut. Then, reverse the flow on the vac and see where the bubbles come from. Once this is done you can pinpoint the leak and then figure out the exact plan for fixing it.

Re: leaky laser boats HELP DESPRATLEY NEEDED

coat your hull and rails in water mixed with dish detergent... attach a shop vac to some duct tape and tape the inspection port shut. Then, reverse the flow on the vac and see where the bubbles come from. Once this is done you can pinpoint the leak and then figure out the exact plan for fixing it.

I hear that this much pressure can blow the hull apart. Keep the vac some distance away from the transom plug opening, or use a bicycle pump.

as Merrily said, don't use a shop vac, too much air pressure.

a small hand type pump, or your lungs/mouth are much better.

It won't take much pressure to find the leak.

Main areas will be around the daggerboard case or the filler in the hull/deck joint.

Unless there is an obvious crack (entry point) that allows water to enter inside the hull that developed recently, I would check the brass cockpit drain bung. My laser leaked at this point. I disassembled the tubular brass fitting which has a nut on opposite end (bottom of boat), applied 4200 waterproof sealing compound and re-assembled. End of leak.

HTH, Cheers, Phil

Another option to try is fill the mast step up with water and see if the water level goes down.

Back