leak in the cockpit

Hi everyone

Every time i leave the slipway and get to the end of the lymington river my cockpit is full of water.I dont know if it is a leak and it should not be because the boat was brand new last september (187490) . I have pushed the bung in as much as i can . Can you help me ?:confused:

meny thanks :)

187490:)

i too get a cockpit full of water ... but when you say full? how full? cause mine fills up a fair bit fromt he water i drag in from clothes .. boots etc.

let alone what comes through my bung in the back .

hi

It mite be the water off of my clothes but after a dry capsize it fills right back up again. It fills up about 1 or 2 inchs and in the capsize i do not get one bit wet .

can you help :confused:

with that much water coming in it must be visible. what happens onshore, say after you've hosed off the boat and the cockpit is semi-full? if your bailer plug is still in does it leak back out while on the dolly? or leak out somewhere?
hopefully not into the hull. is the hull interior still dry? you should try to trace the source while on land and your bare hull is on the dolly. a year old boat should not have a major leak from the bailer, it should be repaired by manufacturer.

Hi

Thanks for that there is not a drop of water inside the hull next time i go out i will leave the bailer closed with water in the cockpit and see if it leaks out .

Thanks for that :)

Hi everyone Every time i leave the slipway and get to the end of the lymington river my cockpit is full of water.I dont know if it is a leak and it should not be because the boat was brand new last september (187490) . I have pushed the bung in as much as i can . Can you help me ?:confused: meny thanks :) 187490:)

Sounds like your bailer door isn't closing all the way. When you say you push the bung in as much as you can is the metal rod sticking thru the bung? Turn the boat on it's side or lift it in the air off the dolly and have someone check to see if the bailer door closes when you push in the bung. If not sounds like the door "hinges" jumped off the plastic snaps or the rubber bands inside have popped off. You need to unscrew the bailer from the bottom of the boat and fix it...

Hi

Thanks for that . The bung is right on the metel rod and the bailer door dose close i have checked that:confused:. Thanks for that anyway.

any other thorts :confused:

meny thanks :)

The only other thing I can think of at this point is ask you how you know that the inside of the hull is perfectly dry. Do you have an inspection port? Have you tipped the boat up on its transom such that you are sure any water inside comes out?

Do not misunderstand, it is not that I do not believe you, but I feel it is very important to verify that there is no hull/cockpit separation.

HTH

if it it slides easily then it may have dried out and shrunk. a pretty cheap fix to replace. having a good, full size bung securely on the end of the rod assures a good seal when you push it in. also, when it's securely on the rod it closes the flap nice and flush below on the hull.

please note: i'm talking about the bailer system on a laser. i re-read my post and, whatever......

Wrap a little tape around the rod before you slide the bung on to build up the dia and ensure a leakfree seal - this will keep the bung from moving around on the rod

Note however that having the bung firmly on does not ensure that the bailer flap closes all the way. The rod's function is to hold open the bailer, when the rod is pushed in it does not close the flap - that is only a function of the rubber o-rings.. If your flap doesn't close all the way when the bung in in, get new o-rings.

Last, whether or not the bailer flap is closing all the way would have no bearing on water leaking thru the the cockpit drain into the cockpit.

hi everyone

The bung is quite tite to the rod and if the bung is pushed in a mich as it can should that stop water from coming in. As i reply to how do i know weather there is any water in th hull or not i have had the boat right up and there is not a drop of water in there .:confused:

mny thanks for replys :)

What are the wind/wave conditions that this happens in ?

In certain flat water planing conditions, you will get water coming up the daggerboard trunk and over the daggerboard stop (the rubber piece at the aft end of the trunk, just in front of the mainsheet block) which then dumps into the cockpit.

If it is leaking in through the bung/bailer, then surely it will be visible coming in ?
Have you tried just putting the hull in the water and maybe sitting in it to push it a bit lower, and then watching for where the water gets in ? It sounds like its pretty quick so you shouldn't have to wait long.

I've ran into that problem too (182941). When I close my bailer, the rubber bands are lose so the little flap won't close. I reach under the boat and close it by hand when going out. That solved 90% of my problems. I bought some new rubber bands on eBay england, but have been too lazy to put them on...

Back