Launching with a Hoist

cfos

We just joined the Indian Lake Yacht Club in Russels Point, Ohio and are getting ready to launch our boat for the year. We will have a permanent slip and are excited about leaving our Capri "mast up". The club has an electric hoist but no boat ramp.
Some boats (e.g. Interlake) have an attachment point for the hoist. Is there a way to safely hoist a Capri 14.2? I find nothing in the manual. Ours is a 1986 design with the full cutty.
Of course, we can always go to the public ramp 2 miles away and sail to the club. it just creates a car problem.

Thanks,
Craig

Problem Solved (Two Ways)

Turns out one of the club members has a narrow ramp about 200 ft. across acove from the club slips. It was plenty wide enough for our trailer. Used my trolling motor to get over. No wind today, so two miles from the public ramp would have been a sunburn. I also thought to do search on the site for the word "hoist" and found some very good instructions from last year.

Craig

Hoisting sling

Lifting Sling - For the Capri 14.2 the hoisting sling attaches to shackles added to the shroud bases and to the aft hiking strap fitting. The lines come together just forward of the barney post, about 3' up. Tie the lines to a heavy duty stainless steel ring at the apex. To attach at the shakles, use heavy-duty SS carabiners. Make the two fwd. lines about 6' long each and the aft one about 8' long. Use heavy line, NLT 3/8". Tie them in with bowlines and make the final adjustments to them at the hoist, where you can raise the boat a few inches and try it out. Best if the boat hangs down by the bow slightly.

Get the boat set up to use the hoist at your club as you'll be much happier. On my boat, I use a spectra line lead under the shroud pins at the deck(2 separate lines). At each pin , I tie the line into a small loop where the hooks from the lifting bridal attach. On my boats shrould there was no room to attach shackles so thats why I opted for this solution. Like Ed said, tie the bridal so the bow is lower than the stern when the boat lifts so the mast won't hit the hoist. Good luck!

Hoisting Sling at Mission Bay?

Ed: Does the hoist at Mission Bay work with the mast raised, or do you raise the mast after launching? Dick K.

Back