launching sunfish from beach into bay

barnmom

I think this has been discussed many times but still struggling and thinking I'm doing something wrong. We have a dolly with two fat tires. It has a single red band to support sunfish under boat. We wheel it to the water. Hoist the sail. Hold off on daggerboard and rudder. We push dolly into water until we are knee high. then we tilt the dolly but inevitably the boat does not slide off. We have to push and pull and tug for a few minutes until finally sunfish floats. Yet when I watch videos it looks like a snap of the wrist releases the sunfish. Does anyone have any ideas what we are doing wrong? Thanks!

The bailer? There a valve in cockpit which I open to release water. Are you saying there’s something under boat that could be catching on strap???
Yes.
7B692A6D-F13C-48BF-9FFB-F88A7476F29D.jpeg

No, it doesn’t float when we wheel it into the water. We live on a bay beach and there’s a deep channel about ten feet from where we launch.

Well hopefully your boat is floating. My dolly floats but it is still no issue to get the boat off the dolly. You push the dolly back and pull the boat forward, or the dolly starts to sink and you are good to go. Btw it’s typically easier to launch the boat with the sail hoisted and rudder attached. Then all you have to do is put the daggerboard in.

Just went to check and don’t think it’s a bailer issue because the bailer is further back than the strap. Here’s a couple of pictures if that helps. Seems like boat should float or slide off dolly. But it doesn’t.

Attachments

• 6590BD61-1F49-41F1-9622-14110EC9C2AE.jpeg
    6590BD61-1F49-41F1-9622-14110EC9C2AE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • 01A74A56-2729-4F38-B3F8-9930AC767059.jpeg
    01A74A56-2729-4F38-B3F8-9930AC767059.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
Okay! That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to help an old gal with a little issue. Happy sailing!

You have to push the dolly in in until the boat floats. We sometimes push down on the tongue of the dolly to let the boat float, as even with flat tires the dolly may partially float. And I assume you are making sure that the rolled lip on the bow is not caught on the bow rest of the dolly.

I use my Trailex like a dolly and it always seems like the boat doesn't want to float when I think it should. Shows what I know, but it eventually works out. Love that giant photo of the bailer that Weston posted! :):)

norcalsail said:
Love that giant photo of the bailer that Weston posted! :):)
1) Check those pins for tightness. (They're a "pressure fit").

If one falls out, the check-ball is released. :oops:

None of the repair kits I've bought includes the pins. :confused: I'll have to check for the pin diameter, as a pop-rivet mandrel may fit.

2) I don't have experience with dollies, but if the strap hangs up, would it be helpful to wrap a short length of solder around the strap to drop the strap away from the bailer?

1) Check those pins for tightness. (They're a "pressure fit").

If one falls out, the check-ball is released. :oops:

None of the repair kits I've bought includes the pins. :confused: I'll have to check for the pin diameter, as a pop-rivet mandrel may fit.

If you know the diameter - roll pins (which is what those are) cost about $0.10 each.

It's been a few years since I refurbished a loose pin, but my recollection is that mine were neither split- nor roll-pins--but solid.

Back