Launching in the waves

SteveON

I'm headed to Port Aransas, Tx tomorrow for the weekend. I'm taking my Laser and hope to launch and sail off the gulf side of Mustang Island. I've never sailed in the surf before and will be self launching/recovering. I have a small dolly to get the boat into the water but I'm not overly worried about scratches on the bottom right now. More worried about not getting hurt or destroying the boat. A couple of years ago I had taken my Butterfly sailboat down to the same beach but chickened out in actually launching the boat (not sure a small scow is a good choice in waves). The waves are usually 3' and coming in pretty steady. The wind will also be blowing onshore from the water. The forecast is for 8-12 knt winds. And suggestions/hints would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Steve

I guess my first suggestion would be someone to help you launch and retrieve the boat.

Is there someplace you could launch sound side and then sail out into the gulf?

I wish I knew a place on the bay side but it doesn't seem likely as most areas are without roads/access. I always sail alone :( None of my friends are cool enough to sail..LOL. I wish I knew some locals to connect with, that would make the trip much better!

With an on shore breeze and waves the way to launch if you had someone to retrieve your dolly, would be to walk into the surf bow first until you are afloat. Hold the boat on the side near the centerboard and in gaps between waves get the board in and the rudder down as much as you can. Grab the sheet and start sheeting in standing in the water. As soon ans you have pressure in the sail jump on and get going as quick as you can so you can punch through any waves. 3 foot waves are pretty big on a laser even though they sound small.

Make sure you do not go on the downwave side of the boat at any time as you could get very injured. The force of the water and the weight of the boat will flatten you in seconds.

You could sail in a swell 8 -10 feet and have a great time but even a small breaking wave on shore can destroy your masts, foils and possibly you. I would not even attempt to get through a proper surf break on a Laser that was bigger than a few feet in height. 3-4 foot breaking wave would be max and you would need to be a confident boat handler.

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm hopeful that the waves will be smaller as the winds are suppose to be lighter. Either way common sense will prevail, if it looks too dangerous I'll opt out and go fishing instead. BTW I did find a Marina about 10 miles from where I'm staying so driving there and launching might be an option but from what I can tell it's a really busy place with lots of big boats launching and recovering. That might be even more dangerous for me on a Laser.
Steve

I managed to find a place to launch my Laser in the intercostal shipping channel. Launched from a sandy shore that gradually dropped off into deeper water. Everything went pretty well considering the wind was light and variable. The only real issues were the boats flying by and when I got a big leg cramp and I couldn't find away to stretch out my leg without jumping in the water. Luckily the boat didn't capsize. After a few minutes I worked the cramp out, hopped back on the boat and sailed back to the launch point. I think if the wind had been stronger I could have hiked out and avoided cramping up. It was really interesting how the boat responded to the waves caused by the fast moving boats flying by. It was much more stable than I thought it would be. The only other time I took the Laser out was on a lake with 10-15 mph winds and no one else around. Hoping to get the chance to experience those conditions again.

Probably best you didn't try launching through those waves. Good that you found somewhere better to launch.

I tried to launch a little plastic two person kayak once in waves like that, with another person helping, and we both almost broke our hands and lost the boat. It wasn't pleasant. I can't imagine launching something like a Laser, especially with winds onshore and that sail sitting up there. I think I'd just end up with a bruised body and a broken mast.

I was thnking the same thing. The surf can be brutal and unforgiving even for someone with help and experience. Last thing I wanted was to get hurt or destroy the boat. It all all turned out for the best. I'm out sailing my Mirage 5.5 today. Much easier to manage launching and recovering.

Back