Launching a Laser

Jeff Gallo

Hey guys,
I am planning on keeping my laser at my yacht club this summer. I am planning on getting a dolly but we don't have a launching ramp to launch that boat. Is it possible to launch a laser off a dock? We also have a crane available but I'm not sure if a laser is able to be lifted. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I used to launch my Laser often from a high seawall with a lift crane. Ran the mainsheet through the traveler leads and mainsheet block, creating a three-point "sling." Finished rigging it out and putting in the mast after it was down on the lower dock in the water.

That sounds like the way to do it via crane. I don't see how you could use a crane with the mast and sail up. One of the advantages of halyards.

As far as dolly launching off a dock, I've seen people do it but it's a pain in the ass. You generally need an extra set of hands to get the boat on/off the dolly.

As far as dolly launching off a dock, I've seen people do it but it's a pain in the ass. You generally need an extra set of hands to get the boat on/off the dolly.

I have also seen this done (by one person). With the boat rigged, the dolly is lowered partially sideways off the dock (one wheel on the dock, the other off the dock towards the water) so that the hull can be pushed into the water. You can do this by yourself, but will need to practice (easier said than done).

PS: You really need to convince your yacht club to build a dinghy dock!

Last edited:

Back