Launching a Laser with a hoist

scullygirl

Hello,

I'm considering moving my boat to a yard, which happens to be equipped with a hoist for dinghies. There is not a way for me to launch from a dock as the yard is not set up that way, so I would have to launch with with the hoist. Does anyone know of a harness I could make so I can use the hoist with my Laser?

Mary

Ugh, doesn't sound too fun. Not having any shrouds, the Laser doesn't have a good hardpoint for connecting a harness. I would think you would need to rig up some sort of sling that slips under the hull.

I also don't think it would be fun drying to use the hoist with the mast stepped and the sail flogging in the breeze.
Would you be able to step the mast at the dock after the boat is lowered from the hoist?

Once I get the hull into the water with the hoist, I would be able to step the mast on the dock and put up the sail. So no worries about hoisting the boat with the mast up, because I don't have to do it that way (and wouldn't).

I just need ideas on how to make this sling.

Mary

I depends on what kind of hoist it is but the best idea would be to have one sling for the boy and one for the stern forming a triangle shape to the crane (if there is only one). You could just use wide ratchet straps with some carpet wrapped round it for extra proctection connected to the crane's clip . will try and get a sketch posted tomorrow...

I used to hoist-launch my Laser often. A quick & easy solution is to run your mainsheet through the two traveller eyes and the mainsheet block, then pull it up into sort of a pyramid-shaped sling, tying a loop knot, and presto - attach the hoist and away you go.

The main block is pretty sturdy so one line could probably go through that, then maybe create a sling, something that won't harm the bottom, I wouldn't rely on the fairleads because they can break or pull out of the deck.

"I wouldn't rely on the fairleads because they can break or pull out of the deck."

The only time I've broken a traveler fairlead is during a violent gybe - and that was the all-plastic ones... Now I'm using the stainless-lined lead and they are also through-bolted, so
I guess I speak only for my boat when I say they're strong enough for a lift-point...

You could take a length of line and tie a bowline at each end for the bow and stern. Tie a loop in the middle that doesn't slip for the hook on the hoist.

Karen

I hoist launch my Laser from my dock with a davit and a set of jetski lift cradles from Overtons. These are two metal bars that have a hook on each end and then a strap to a "D" ring. The hooks are dipped in a heavy rubber plastic and hook onto the gunnel rail at the deck, one on each side of the boat. Centered, the "D" rings go to the hook on the lift cable. I launch with everything ready to go except the main connection at the outhaul.

This works great. My boats bottom has never been on the ground. If it would help I can try to post a picture of this set-up.

Mike

21WpaCXMNwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I hoist launch my Laser from my dock with a davit and a set of jetski lift cradles from Overtons. These are two metal bars that have a hook on each end and then a strap to a "D" ring. The hooks are dipped in a heavy rubber plastic and hook onto the gunnel rail at the deck, one on each side of the boat. Centered, the "D" rings go to the hook on the lift cable. I launch with everything ready to go except the main connection at the outhaul.

This works great. My boats bottom has never been on the ground. If it would help I can try to post a picture of this set-up.

Mike

Like this?
http://www.prohoists.com/700_lb_PWC...Seadoo,_Jet_Ski,_yamaha,_kawasaki,_honda,_etc.)

Exactly, make sure you get the brackets for the older, lighter jetski that has a hook at each end. The bigger brackets have and extra hook in the middle and won't conform to the curve of the deck on your laser. These work really well and won't make a mark on your hull or deck.

Mike

Back