Class Politics Latest News! - Inside PSE

LooserLu

LooserLu
Hi,
just got the new sailing-magazine here, and there I found a small announcement at their news-chapter, about some innovation for the design of the Laser (see the copy in attachment, that I was able to scan quick with my Computer for you and sorry, the Forums-software did not allowed me to show the file in the correct direction, so you need to reed it from the side...).

Here is a translation from German into English:

>>>The British producer of one design sailboats "Performance Sailcraft Europe Ltd." (PSE) today confirms unofficially, that since March the on-water-testing of the new canting keel for the Laser began (in German language: "Klappkiel", comment of the translator). Head of the project is the chief-designer of Team "Oracle BMW Racing" (chief-designer is Bruce Farr, comment of the translator), because there can be positively transferred several synergy-effects form the actual new AC-boat of Larry Ellison. The new canting keel, together with a new 15 square-meter carbon-mylar-rigg, should open up the growing market of heavy-weighted Master-Laserites. The introduction to the market is planned in April 2007.<<<

Have a nice first Saturday of this month and Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• Jacht-News  - April 1st 2006.jpg
    Jacht-News - April 1st 2006.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 103
What? Are they trying to sneak this one in on us? When are we going to vote on it? Actually, I want one, but how much will it add to the cost of a new Laser?

Merrily said:
What? Are they trying to sneak this one in on us? When are we going to vote on it? Actually, I want one, but how much will it add to the cost of a new Laser?

The changes will come in through the LCM so no vote needed. It is also supposed to include a trapeze. It is thought that it will raise the cost of the boat by about a factor of 100 BUT it is assumed that this will get recovered by a huge increase in TV revenues at the Olympics.

Now... what is today again?

LooserLu said:
Hi,
just got the new sailing-magazine here, and there I found a small announcement at their news-chapter, about some innovation for the design of the Laser (see the copy in attachment, that I was able to scan quick with my Computer for you and sorry, the Forums-software did not allowed me to show the file in the correct direction, so you need to reed it from the side...).

Here is a translation from German into English:

>>>The British producer of one design sailboats "Performance Sailcraft Europe Ltd." (PSE) today confirms unofficially, that since March the on-water-testing of the new canting keel for the Laser began (in German language: "Klappkiel", comment of the translator). Head of the project is the chief-designer of Team "Oracle BMW Racing" (chief-designer is Bruce Farr, comment of the translator), because there can be positively transferred several synergy-effects form the actual new AC-boat of Larry Ellison. The new canting keel, together with a new 15 square-meter carbon-mylar-rigg, should open up the growing market of heavy-weighted Master-Laserites. The introduction to the market is planned in April 2007.<<<

Have a nice first Saturday of this month and Ciao
LooserLu

Excellent! I will check this out with Bruce Farr. He lives not too far from me (in Annapolis MD) and his firm can certainly use some positive publicity after the VO70 debacle :eek: . Getting the Klappkiel on 185,000 Lasers ought to be good for his business as well ...:)

WestCoast said:
Ludwig, can you engineer me a hydrofoil for my Laser...
Yup, of course I can, George ... :0)

I guess, what is good for the famous 80-footer Ocean Racer "Nicorette" (first photo in the report of that sailing magazine above) or an "Open 60"-Racer (second photo in the report of that sailing magazine above), perhaps will bring your Laser always in the top ten of the big racing events of the Laser :)

The design and the testing can be made here (I did studied there, some long time ago):

http://www.rwth-aachen.de/iww/about/research/flow/index.html.en

The constructions can be made here (They got some small experience in sailing from the last VOR ;) ):

http://www.illbruck.de/building-systems/uk/

Both are not so far away from where I live.

George, you only need some few "10^6"-US$ to spend, but, perhaps Chip (Johns) from Team-Vanguard and David (Graham) from PSE can help you in that financial affairs ;) If I remember correct, they did made some interesting experiences in the past in such innovation-projects, with some carbon-beams for the mast of the Laser.....

Ciao
LooserLu

Hi again,
beside of the "april-fool"-texts above, I just have found this:
Someone made an old Laser I to a fu-boat with a keel and this is not a joke, I'm afraid! The keel can be moved to the original centreboard.
Ok, it is not a "canting keel", but it would be interesting, how this boat may sail with this extra-50-kilogram-keel, I guess. : ) :)

Look here:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...rch.ebay.de:80/6285460659_W0QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

This modified Laser today has been offered at ebay.de in Germany.
The rigg has got stays (fixed to the deck), a small jib and a modified rudder also. The mast steps had to be repair, the text says but the other parts are like for the usual Laser in used condition (hull has ben painted and some maintenance is done etc.)

Ciao
LooserLu

Back