Laser wax or polish

manateerichard

Collegiate Sailor
What would you recommend for a good laser wax or polish to help clean up an old hull? I've heard that boat polish with Teflon or PTEF works well, but I was wondering if there was anything else that cleans it up well?

Teflon based wax is allowed. I thin there was a question about McLube being legal for a while, but I think it passed because it goes on wet, but dries and does not "dispurse" in the water like using soap or something similar would.

What would you recommend for a good laser wax or polish to help clean up an old hull? I've heard that boat polish with Teflon or PTEF works well, but I was wondering if there was anything else that cleans it up well?

Define "clean up" a little more - If the gelcoat is faded and you are looking to get back to a like new shine (it is possible) or hide scratches, you are going to need to compound first, pref by machine (results are better in 25% of the time) with a good compound pad. If it's really dull, you may need to wetsand first - search the thread here for a post by gouvnail about "make your bottom pretty"

If you are just looking to just remove some surface grime and leave a protective coating, the above mentioned polishes w/ Teflon (Starbrite or West Marine) do a suitable job

I'm thinking about a light coat of a good marine enamel paint. Any downsides?

A couple pounds isn't a real big deal on a 130 lb boat. Boats that are old enough to need a coat of paint don't win big regattas have enough other problems that a couple pounds is not a concern.

Go for thin coats with a really nice brush or spray the thing.

Let teh pai nt dry a long time between coats and lightly sand to get it smoother between coats..

and if you find it to be getting rough, sand it smooth and thin more next try.

Don't paint teh boat unless you understand paint is fragile and will look horrible if you scratch it up..

That means, you must treat teh boat in a manner so it doesn't get scratched.

no dragging it, no sliding over it with buckles and spurs when you dump.

and...

always remember..

Cowboy boots suck for sailing because it hurts a lot when you squat to go under the boom.

clean up as in polish up and get some little areas of grime removed, nothing too serious as gelcoat

First wash it well with car or boat wash, that should get alot of the grime off, its always a good idea to rinse off salt and other junk after you sail with cold fresh water

if the gel coat is dull after cleaning the dirt off, wetsand it starting with a rough grade probably 400 (depending on how dull it is) and ending with a fine wet sand paper, (400-800-1200 works well)

if the hull isn't dull after cleaning or after you finish wetsanding, go for a good marine polish, the PTEF stuff is good,

My gelcoat got a little dull so this past summer I did the wetsand then polish method, it took some time and effort but the result is well worth it, It looks brand new shiny.

Back