laser vs. doublehanded

pleon5045

hey- in my sailing team, everyone wants to sail 420s (or other double handed boats) rather than lasers. at many other ycs, they've abolished lasers altogether cus everyone wants to go doublehanded.
anyone else finding this to be true?
its kinda worrying me... our team still has a strong laser group b/c we have good coaches, but the level of us and of our competition is dropping, esp w/ regards to the 420 kids...
i think its mainly cus they force everyone through optis, and the kids who dont love them (or who do) want to sail w/ someone else. and now most of the competition is in 420s, so its a vicious cycle...
any ideas?
thanks
kendall

I started sailing in an Albacore, then moved on to 420's and Laser II's, but now after much talk I have decided to throw my glove into the LASER ring. I think I know just as many singlehanded sailors as I know doublehanded sailors.

Seth

ummm...k

at my school i find that the oposite is happening. we are very cometitive with the lasers there and everyone wants to sail one. partialy because we only have one 420 and like 20 fj's (i sail at the university of new hampshire) but even if this weren't the case i'd still go with lasers. so many laser fleets are popping up around my are and even one at the yacht club a few blocks away!! but around here there are no double-handed boat races and even if there were where would i get a boat? my point is that i'm a die hard laser sailer and even tho i love 420's, im better off by myself.

Lol mac I like your signature. "The reason I am a moderator (not a real moderator, just over the junior forums) is because I came up with the idea to start this usergroup andforum ;) !"

macwas-- do you go to unh or just sail there? cus i go to phillips exeter and am looking for someway to stay sailing over the winter.... the problem is i have to be in my dorm by 8 every night so.... :(

Time to start Frostbiting. Get those drysiuts ready.

Besides it does'nt get dark in the NorthEast until around 6:15 - 6:30pm, in the fall plenty of time to hit the water. :D

we love frostbiting!! its so much fun

And on topic, where i live, the laser class is kinda the big thing, and 420's are quite as big. Radials are the most popular BY FAR

thank god i live in socal! although it must be sort of a cool experience to be sailing along, and then it starts snowing....

ummm...k

im only 14 so no i don't attend unh. i'm on the junior olympic sailing team in the summer. i do however have some friends that attend unh and are part of the sailing team but i dont think they sail in the winter. the problem is because we sail on a fresh water lake. hey new idea...ice burging!!

P.S. are you really smart? my folks want me to apply to the academy but i don't think i'll make it. oh also, are you from around there because i am and my soccer club practices on your fields.

more slow as hell 420 here than awesome as hell lasers

hey its like that here in texas especially here at austin yacht club we have more high schoolers sailing slow as hell 420s than lasers ihave my own laser and am about to buy a hobie 18 which kinda sucks cuz lake travis is short.another thing is how can you guys in canada sail in january its so frinkin cold im mean ice hockey thats understandable cuz i used to play in minnesota. and what are dry suits ive only heard of wet suits although i seldomly use mine cuz he coldest it gets is 20degrees :?

Personally I dont sail in January, and I dont think many other Canadians do! Most lakes are frozen by then! Hey Matt why dont you register?

Seth

ummm...k

so about this icburging...who's with me!! i live an a river thats brakish with a current flow of around 4 knt and it is rated the second most dangerous harbor in the north east. So lets go dodge some iceburgs!!

which river? ill do it if my dad will bring my boat to school for me :)

btw, i do go to the academy... sail out of pleon yc in marblehead ma, we had the mass bay jos this year. i went to the northeast jos last year but not this year, my friend won the radials there this year tho. do you know greg fenner?

kendall

ummm...k

i live on the Merrimak but i was only kidding about icebirging. i hybernate in winter. i'm with brad, 60 is freezing for me...partially because i only weigh 90 lbs but what the hey!

I hate your american temperatures, I cant figure them out. GIVE ME CELSIUS!!!!!

Seth

ummm...k

i did a math problem last year about inverting temperatures and rates and stuff and the book had the formula. unfortunately we had to give the books back :cry:

the formula: farenheit to celsius: subtract 32, multiply by 5/9.
celsius to farenheit: multiply by nine fifths, add 32

macwas-- hes a kiwi, not english, and yea, hes pretty amazing. that was actually his first regatta in a laser, first time in a radial besides when we goof off coming in from practice and i skipper his 420.
its amazing how somepeople are just good. period.
yea you're prob right about the frostbiting... i think memorial days about as early as sailing is possible w/o drysuit. i did an opti clinic once may 15th w/ no drysuit.. not a fun time tho.
kendall

I cant figure out why you guys still use Farhenheit(SPELLING?).

Seth

It would be way to complicated to change and no one would use it. Scientist already use and, and the average American wouldn't convert and hopefully the Weather Channel wouldn't switch.

The UK successfully metricated all our measurements except road signs are still in miles. You now buy stuff in litres, kilos and grams in shops, petrol prices are in £/litre etc etc. However, we still drive on the left hand side of the road....

It wouldn't be difficult at all. Canada did it. My parents still use all the old imperial ways while me and my sisters use metric. We use it because thats what we learned in school! My parents sorta get the metric system.

Seth

It seems a bit stupid to have half the people using one and the other half using the other system when so many countries have found it possible to change. The whole of the EU now operates in metric.

Back