Laser v. Force 5

skibrain

I've sailed Lasers quite a bit. YMCA camp when in Jr. High and then working waterfront staff at a camp that had a fleet of 14 Lasers when I was in college.

Now that my own kids are Jr. High age I'm thinking about buying one. I've also seen a Force 5 for sale. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two boats. They appear to be similar. Quality, Performance, Sail area?

I'm talking about the base Laser. Not an updated racing rig.

Since this is on a lake with no other Lasers (and little sailing) class racing is not an issue.

Thanks.

First off the force 5 i an old boat that is no longer maid so it might be a pain to get part if they break. The laser as you probably know is a highly competative boat if your kids get interested in racing plus its easier to get parts for. Also i think the laser has a little bet less sail area.

Thanks. Keep the info coming.

Parts would be a bigger concern, but this would be on a rural lake in ND, racing other Lasers would just never be an issue.

skibrain said:
Thanks. Keep the info coming.

Parts would be a bigger concern, but this would be on a rural lake in ND, racing other Lasers would just never be an issue.

I dunno.... two kids... for the price of one newer competitive boat you could get two perfectly sound old beaters, and I never heard of two kids on two boats without a race breaking out sooner or later...

Actually they are still made and you can buy parts. I recently purchased one of these for someone in my sailing club.

http://bosunsupplies.com/ProductForce5.cfm

They're nice boats. I took it out a few times for fun. Major differences between as standard Laser and a Force 5 are: Three piece mast with an upper section that can be removed for a smaller JR. sail and a little bit more room because the cockpit extends to either side of the daggerboard.

Check out the site for more information.

Good Luck!

Actually they are still made and you can buy parts. I recently purchased one of these for someone in my sailing club.

http://bosunsupplies.com/ProductForce5.cfm

They're nice boats. I took it out a few times for fun. Major differences between as standard Laser and a Force 5 are: Three piece mast with an upper section that can be removed for a smaller JR. sail and a little bit more room because the cockpit extends to either side of the daggerboard.

Check out the site for more information.

Good Luck!

Hmm - The Force 5 seems to compare more to Catalina's Capri (or Catalina) 13. Does that make it "three of a kind?"

The force 5 weighs 145 and has a hard chine bottom, a full traveler for the main and all other rigging leads to the cockpit. It also has 91 sq ft of main. The laser has a round bottom, weighs 130 lbs, 76 sq ft of sail and "classic rigged" controls are on the boom and not as easy to reach as the force 5. Force 5 cockpit is bigger and can better handle 2 people. I owned both boats when I was 14 and I liked them both just fine. I thought the force 5 was more fun to sail and more stable off the breeze as it would not death roll as easy as the laser. Today I'm an avid laser sailor because I love to race.

Thanks all for the insight and repsonses. My brother in law will likely get a look at the boat this weekend. I'll let you know what we do.

Retro said:
Hmm - The Force 5 seems to compare more to Catalina's Capri (or Catalina) 13. Does that make it "three of a kind?"

I have both a Capri and a Laser and side by side, the measurements are almost identical. The Force 5 has completely different lines and dimensions although there is a strange connection.

Correct me if I wrong but... Vanguard who manufactures the Lasers bought the Sunfish from AMF, who also made the Super Sunfish which had a similar rigging to the Laser and the same rigging as the Force 5.

If you plan on buying the Force 5 be sure to check where the centerboard exits the hull. The boat I bought looked great but took on about 5 gallons of water the first time I took it out because a a delamination failure at that location. It's good now though.

P.S. With all that said, there's something cool about owning a laser and being part of the Laser brotherhood.

No question that I like the Laser, and I understand the the appeal of being part of a larger fleet...even if only on-line. In North Dakota where the boat is for sale and on the lake it will be sailed, likely no one has heard of either.

The seller is not sure but thinks he has an early 90's boat. Says it is in excellent shape, includes an extra centerboard for $750. If it is in fact all there, and in great condition it's a good buy. If I can train up a new generation of sailors in my kids and nephews, maybe one day we will "move up to" Laserdom.

Back