Laser Training Manual

rusty99

I am organising training sessions at our club to try to lift the standard of the fleet. I was after a Training Manual that could be given to each sailor. I know there are a lot of good books available, but I was after something FREE that could be photocopied and distrbuted without infringing copyrights. It needs to be relatively comprehensive - more than a simple factsheet.
Cheers,

This is the kind of stuff that we should have on our Wiki.

Someone recently posted this link to DrLaser stuff on a web archive. Lots of good stuff here. Looked at some of the pages and did not see any copyright statement that would prevent you copying it.

I think as long as you properly give credit to the authors you might be ok. But i are a engineer so not so well versed on these things!!

http://web.archive.org/web/20041220101431/www.drlaser.org/frm/plfinstBHf.html

This is the kind of stuff that we should have on our Wiki.

Someone recently posted this link to DrLaser stuff on a web archive. Lots of good stuff here. Looked at some of the pages and did not see any copyright statement that would prevent you copying it.

I think as long as you properly give credit to the authors you might be ok. But i are a engineer so not so well versed on these things!!

http://web.archive.org/web/20041220101431/www.drlaser.org/frm/plfinstBHf.html

He's from before my time, but from what I've heard, "Dr. Laser" was a big stickler about having his work copied and redistributed without his permission.

A statement of copyright is NOT required, and I DON'T think you can safely assume that you're reprinting his work "with permission."

I'd look for something else.

He's from before my time, but from what I've heard, "Dr. Laser" was a big stickler about having his work copied and redistributed without his permission.

A statement of copyright is NOT required, and I DON'T think you can safely assume that you're reprinting his work "with permission."

I'd look for something else.

This is correct.

Check the latest Laser Sailor magazine. There's a great article in there about boat set up for all conditions. Also check the D12 website for a write up from former US Sailing Team member Eric Oetgen about pre-race preparation. Those should be good starters.

Lastly Sailing World did a write up about laser set up a few years ago. I don;t know if you can find anything on their web site. I think Brad Funk wrote the article, but not sure.

Check the latest Laser Sailor magazine. There's a great article in there about boat set up for all conditions. Also check the D12 website for a write up from former US Sailing Team member Eric Oetgen about pre-race preparation. Those should be good starters.

Lastly Sailing World did a write up about laser set up a few years ago. I don;t know if you can find anything on their web site. I think Brad Funk wrote the article, but not sure.

Again I'll lobby for somehow getting this type of info up on this site or the laser-na site. There is so much good info avail if you just do a search and aggregate the best pieces. Problem is its just too overwhelming for the new sailors.

It should be pretty straightforward to put together stuff for the basics & if there is some little gem from a specific source we want to use, then just cite it and use it. Problem is that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to post stuff to the laser wiki here or to a similar area on the laser-na site.

Rusty-

This link to the University of Iowa site might be helpful. It is copyrighted, but has an email link to the author. If you're using it for non-profit purposes, you can probably get permission to print it. It covers FJ and laser. You could always edit out the parts that aren't relevant.

http://www.uiowa.edu/%7Esail/skills/racing_basics/

I am organising training sessions at our club to try to lift the standard of the fleet. I was after a Training Manual that could be given to each sailor. I know there are a lot of good books available, but I was after something FREE that could be photocopied and distrbuted without infringing copyrights. It needs to be relatively comprehensive - more than a simple factsheet.
Cheers,
Hi Rusty,
Your enquiry is very timely. I have returned to Laser sailing after a 20 year lay-off to sail with my two teenage sons who have just started sailing Lasers.
Many years ago I developed a Laser Manual for just the purpose you mention.
I have resurrected it and added two new sections about the rule and rigging changes for the vang, cunningham and outhaul, and the updated Rule 42 interpretations.
You and any one else can download it and use it in any way you want.
I have waived the copyright
- so go for it.
It is 90 pages, but can be printed in parts and in black and white.
It may be a bit technical for some, but your sailors can skip these bits.
The contents are displayed on the link below and the manual can be downloaded as a PDF file.
I hope you and your club members find it useful.

http://www.findseedo.com/lasermanual.html

Cheers,

Back