Laser Trailer Opinions

It's easy for the Laser/Trailex, and I am a bit lazy as far as that is concerned. Do it all the time.

Yes. I often put on my bottom cover while it is sitting on the dolly. I have no trouble. I have the flanges up so the boat is sitting on the flanges and not the strap. I put the bow of the cover on, pull the cover back along side the boat, lift one side to put the cover between the bottom and the strap, pull the cover over the transom and pull up each side. Done. Takes maybe a minute of my time.

While I'm here, I want to add, this is my third season of using my Right on Trailer. While it is easy to load by myself, I am disappointed with the quality of finish of the trailer. The powder coat has chipped off in many places and started to rust. I am often treating the rust spots to keep the rust in check. The trailer is stored outdoors all the time. I am going to keep this trailer for as long it lasts. Next time I'll buy a Kittyhawk.

48,000 miles on my Kitty Hawk, (cross country 4 times) plus all the other distances. First time I was worried about the 8" tires, but even in 100 degrees the hubs never got warm enough to warrant worry, normally they were always cool to the palm. Some people install 12" wheels for this concern but I assure you there is no need. I also run 18lbs or less of psi because it gives a smooth ride and more even tread wear. I did install Bearing Buddies, not to keep out water but to insure grease was always pressured to the bearings. Note: I use the normal purple trailer bearing grease, not the blue bubble gum for sustained high speeds. Many times in excess of 85 mph. West Texas baby, gets real boring. Obviously the load is light but I do pack the cockpit with gear and carry 2 sets of spars on deck. Towing behind the minivan actually increases my mileage, not much but definatley doesn't decline it. I presume this is due to the aerodynamics low design of the rig. I never have used the trailer to launch as the ease of transferring to the dolly with the pivot is really nice. For comparison purposes, the Trailex is more expensive, and bolt together joints in its aluminum frame with sharp edges, pivot bow optional. The less expensive (maybe) Right-On trailer is designed not to have to go into the water, but if it does, and especially if it goes into salt water, remember that it's powder coated carbon steel. It will rust. The Kitty Hawk galvanized seems to be the most popular of the Laser trailers, but I have never wished I had purchased a different trailer than my SS Kitty Hawk. Once I got rear ended by a Monster Truck at a stop light in Houston. He could not see the Laser due to the hight of his truck and proceeded to push against the laser shoving it against the bow support, bending it but not breaking it. We navigated from the rush hour traffic into a Burger King parking lot where he forfieted $200 cash instead of me informing his insurance. Since the support gave way there was no gamage to the boat, this would not have been the case with either of the other two trailers. Ya ya ya, I know. Lastly, I must agree with those that hate the regular tailights. Although I don't have issue with submerging them in water, I do have issue with replacing the bulbs everytime the trailer is towed with no boat, weight on it. Others say they don't have this problem, but every time the trailer bumps down the road lite, it cost me bulbs. I've gone sof far as to remove the bulbs, so far no tickets. (Daytime only.)

Attachments

• Orange Bowl 2008 053.jpg
    Orange Bowl 2008 053.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
dont know if you can get them in the US but in the uk we use a seperate road base and trolly and the trolly just slides on top of the road base and gets heled on with a clevis pin the reason being is so that your road bearings never get submerged or for that matter near the water and therefore last longer as you just launch the boat on the trolly and the trolly is on plain nylon bushes that last the lifetime of the tyres they look like this http://www.mccreadysailboats.co.uk/index.php?page=packages just seems stupid to be putting your road trailer in the water

dont know if you can get them in the US but in the uk we use a seperate road base and trolly and the trolly just slides on top of the road base and gets heled on with a clevis pin the reason being is so that your road bearings never get submerged or for that matter near the water and therefore last longer as you just launch the boat on the trolly and the trolly is on plain nylon bushes that last the lifetime of the tyres they look like this http://www.mccreadysailboats.co.uk/index.php?page=packages just seems stupid to be putting your road trailer in the water

I wish somebody would market trailers like that in the US.

We have a double stack road trailer. Boats stay on their launching trolleys and are loaded on and strapped to the road base. We're on our second one of these now as the first one got a bit tired (no idea how many miles done but it went to Portugal, Ireland, Netherlands and all over UK).

Attachments

• Road trailer.jpg
    Road trailer.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 59

Back