Laser Trailer Opinions

hushoe12

I am currently in the process of looking for a new trailer for my laser. I am looking at the Kittyhawk trailers and the new Righton trailer. If anyone has some good information and opinions regarding these trailers please let me know! Thanks!

I really like my Right-On trailer. Very easy to load and unload. Plus I believe they have just developed an add-on structure to carry a second Laser.

When I bought my (third hand) Laser, it came with a Trailex trailer. The latter is a fine piece of equipment, but if I had to buy a trailer again, the Right-On would be first on my list. One advantage is that the wheels never get into the water when launching from a ramp because a dolly is used to launch the boat. This makes bearing maintenance less of a problem. And it's a lot less expensive than the Trailex.
Note though that the Right-On trailer still has to build up a record as far as durability is concerned.

It has now been used for eleven seasons and thre are so many times when we decided to fill the thing and go to a regata that I am certain, it has helped build friendships and ...are the locals ever excited when somebody pulls into the club's rigging area with FIVE MORE BOATS!!!

Ours if far from perfect but it functions. The local kids borrow it a coule times a year or more to go to junior events...more kid sailors with fewer cars needed to make the trip and sometimes kids that would not ahve gone at all!!

Sure, by the time I put brakes on it and a control module in my vehicle I had blown $2500, we have replaced the tires twice ($400 total) , and after ten seasons I spent $500 on materials to re-deck, recarpet, re-light, re-fasten, and paint it last year but I think we are down under $25 per use and way under $10 per sailor per regatta...and after the rebuild it is good for another ten years.

If you have a vehicle capable of towing a couple thousand pounds, the multiple boat trailer is simply great for friends who want to sail.

And building one is a great way for sailors to get together during the winter!!

Here is the trailer on a trip where we took SIX boats!!! In fact, teh weather was so bad we didn't sail but comaraderie and the New Orleans Food made the trip worthwhile anyway!!

New_Orleans_waves.jpg

I have a KittyHawk Stainless Steel trailer that I like quite a bit. Superb shape! I'm putting it up for sale because I have two and am now constructing a multi-laser trailer. I'm looking for $650.00 OBO.

The KittyHawk is the way to go if you launch from a ramp, packed sand,gravel or grass. I've pulled a laser on a KittyHawk from Racine Wisconsin to South Florida and it tows at high-speed like a dream.

Its weakness is in dry, loose, sand where you'll need two people and I wouldn't recommend it if you launch on the loose sand regularly. If its just a few times a year, then the convenience far outweighs the hassle of asking for a hand pulling it up the beach. Once you're up the beach, you won't need help hoisting the boat onto a regular trailer.

The strengths are that it supports the boat under the gunnwhales and bow, but you don't need to transfer to a trailer to transport, just hookup and go. It really is a solo solution when not in sand and makes the post regatta boat clean-up a breeze. When you get home, there is no need to transfer off the trailer to a suitable support, just roll it into place.

If I know the venue won't be a sandy launch....I'll take the Kitty Hawk.

I'll be going to Florida Masters and can deliver it there or you can come to Memphis, TN, or we can meet somewhere.

I have a KittyHawk Stainless Steel trailer that I like quite a bit. Superb shape! I'm putting it up for sale because I have two and am now constructing a multi-laser trailer. I'm looking for $650.00 OBO.

The KittyHawk is the way to go if you launch from a ramp, packed sand,gravel or grass. I've pulled a laser on a KittyHawk from Racine Wisconsin to South Florida and it tows at high-speed like a dream.

Its weakness is in dry, loose, sand where you'll need two people and I wouldn't recommend it if you launch on the loose sand regularly. If its just a few times a year, then the convenience far outweighs the hassle of asking for a hand pulling it up the beach. Once you're up the beach, you won't need help hoisting the boat onto a regular trailer.

The strengths are that it supports the boat under the gunnwhales and bow, but you don't need to transfer to a trailer to transport, just hookup and go. It really is a solo solution when not in sand and makes the post regatta boat clean-up a breeze. When you get home, there is no need to transfer off the trailer to a suitable support, just roll it into place.

If I know the venue won't be a sandy launch....I'll take the Kitty Hawk.

I'll be going to Florida Masters and can deliver it there or you can come to Memphis, TN, or we can meet somewhere.

2nd this. Kitty Hawk w/a pivot bow fitting makes it soooo easy to transfer from trailer to dolly on your own if you wish. Also it is MADE to be a boat trailer and dumped in water. There are braces available from APS that makes 2 boats fit on the trailer great as well. Back in the day I ran mine up to 110 mph behind my 300ZX. It always towed like a dream!

One more vote for the KittyHawk. The ability to single-handely move the boat from the trailer to my dolly, or to lauch directly from the trailer when I choose is huge for me.

I struggled with the same question roughly a year ago. I think all three of the major tailored-to-Laser trailers have their plusses. It is nice to have ready made choices that will suit most of us! I am not sure you can go "wrong" with any of the top three.

i am a huge kittyhawk fan also. I take my sietech dolly strapped on top of boat when trailering. The transfer from kitty to dolly is one person. Not sure what the other versions weigh, but there has got to be gas savings over the heavier flatbed trailer that are modified to hold a laser. And you still need to transfer onto a dolly anyway( the k-hawk is not ideal in sandy or loose soil conditions). The kitty is custom designed to hold your laser in safest position, and allow the swivel-out self load, and the kitty can be a dolly in hard surface situations. +++

Kitty Hawk all the way. Simple, easy, and well built. I figure I have about 7000 miles on mine, and not even one issue at all. I just decided to inspect and repack the bearings. I thought I might have to at least replace some of the parts but they we're all in like new condition. I routinely carry two lasers on it as well.

Dave

I like my Right On trailer. Bought it earlier this year. Loading / unloading singlehanded couldn't be easier! Loaded it is easy to move around the yard by hand. Empty trailer doesn't take up much storage space. Owner, Michael Carlson, is very professional and easy to work with. Keep in mind assembly takes about 4 hrs. Everything considered, I highly recommend this solution.

Definite Kitty Hawk fan here. I find it easy for getting the bottom cover on. I just spread the cover out on the trailer before I load the boat. It saves me a lot of time.

Another question for owners of the stainless Kittyhawk trailer:

They mention that the rims are galvanized. What other parts are not stainless or plastic?

I can't imaging that the bearings are stainless. How about hubs, etc?

Is it really something that you can use to drop a boat into salt water and expect to last with basic rinsing?

Thanks in advance!

Another question for owners of the stainless Kittyhawk trailer:

They mention that the rims are galvanized. What other parts are not stainless or plastic?

I can't imaging that the bearings are stainless. How about hubs, etc?

Is it really something that you can use to drop a boat into salt water and expect to last with basic rinsing?

Thanks in advance!

The frame of the trailer, the axle and most of the mounting hardware are stainless steel. The bow pivot, coupler, fenders, and rims are galvanized. The leaf springs are painted black.

The hub assembly is a standard assembly like you would find on just about any trailer. If you put the trailer in salt water, you'll want to install Bearing Buddies and regularly re-pack the bearings just like a normal trailer.

The stainless steel trailer is not maintenance free. The main advantage of the stainless steel is the structural framework won't corrode if left outside (or dunked in salt water). The parts that may corrode, like the leaf springs, are standardized parts and can be easily replaced.

Does anyone have a homemade 2 boat trailer??? I have a single boat trailer right now... It's not a kittyhawk or anything like that... It's a heavy duty trailer... I would like to find a way to haul 2 boats around at the same time... Help?? Comments?? Pictures??

Slightly off topic, but I'm wondering what kind of trailer lights the Kitty Hawk and other main trailers use.

I'm ordering my hitch and stuff today, but I don't actually have my Laser yet, I'm still shopping. I know everything except what kind of light connector I need to order.

Pedal Force:

the predominate type of trailer wiring connector is a "Four wire flat" I don't have a kitty hawk but my trailerex boat trailer, wesco boat trailer, and two other trailers all use that same connector. Its pretty standard, and if the trailer is differant the trailer can be easily converted for about $10 in parts and 15 minutes of time.

If you're buying a new Kitty Hawk, do yourself a favor and run by a trailer parts store first. Pick up a set of LED lights and install those instead.

Pedal Force:

the predominate type of trailer wiring connector is a "Four wire flat" I don't have a kitty hawk but my trailerex boat trailer, wesco boat trailer, and two other trailers all use that same connector. Its pretty standard, and if the trailer is differant the trailer can be easily converted for about $10 in parts and 15 minutes of time.

Thanks. I'm still shopping for my Laser. I've found a few locally. One I think is overpriced, plus comes with a Radial that I don't need. The second needs upgrades and a new sail, but comes with a trailer. The third is the same price as the second, but is in great shape, but comes with a dolly instead of a trailer.

In order to get the 3rd one I'll need to buy a trailer. I also am in the process of buying a hitch for my car.

the problem with the right on trailer is that it puts all the pressure of the strapped down boat on the crappy plastic parts of the seitech. this is not what the seitech was designed for. the flanges that hold up the gunnels of the boat do break...

kitty hawk or trailex is the way to go, imo

the problem with the right on trailer is that it puts all the pressure of the strapped down boat on the crappy plastic parts of the seitech. this is not what the seitech was designed for. the flanges that hold up the gunnels of the boat do break...

kitty hawk or trailex is the way to go, imo

Actually, if you read the literature for the Right-On (which I've done, because I bought one), it tells you to put the gunnel flanges down and let the boat rest on the strap when trailering.

I think that strap is plenty strong for a 130 pound laser. It's not like you're strapping it down with a hydraulic ram. You shouldn't be strapping it super tight anyway because the boat isn't all that strong.

Actually, if you read the literature for the Right-On (which I've done, because I bought one), it tells you to put the gunnel flanges down and let the boat rest on the strap when trailering.

I think that strap is plenty strong for a 130 pound laser. It's not like you're strapping it down with a hydraulic ram. You shouldn't be strapping it super tight anyway because the boat isn't all that strong.

ok, well if the boat is resting on the strap than the "right on" is inferior because the boat rests on the strap. youre right, the boat isnt that strong, but the strongest part is the hull deck joint- which is where the pressure rests when you use a kitty hawk.

either way, the boat needs to be strapped down to a certain degree of tightness to avoid movement during normal road driving bumps and pot holes. whether its on the seitech's straps or gunnel flange, its still relying on the cheap chinese plastic parts of the seitech, which is outside the specs of that dolly. seitech's are not that durable. they are terribly overpriced, perhaps more so than the sail!

i prefer my boat to rest on its gunnels on the strong, american built (yes thats right MADE IN THE USA) kitty hawk.

The "Right on" trailer does offer ease of use and it can be used for multiple purposes, (except for towing 2 lasers). However, you better store it in your garage because there is not one single galvanized or stainless steel part on it. I give them 4 years, (of decent use and exposure to the elements) to start rusting up. I also don't like the idea of towing the laser around on the dolly strap, but that's just a personal thing.

The "Right on" trailer does offer ease of use and it can be used for multiple purposes, (except for towing 2 lasers). However, you better store it in your garage because there is not one single galvanized or stainless steel part on it. I give them 4 years, (of decent use and exposure to the elements) to start rusting up. I also don't like the idea of towing the laser around on the dolly strap, but that's just a personal thing.

I guess we'll find out. Mine will be stored outside, for now at least. I have a condo, so it will be outside until I get a house.

It's all powder coated, but not all that well really. The shipping was very poor and there were scratches everywhere. He gave me some money to make up for it, and I'm gonna sand and paint the scratched areas.

There are also problems with when they powder coated. It appears to have been done before they installed the studs in the axle. When they heated it to install, they blistered off a lot of the powder coat.

They also powder coated before bending parts into shape, which causes problems.

either way, the boat needs to be strapped down to a certain degree of tightness to avoid movement during normal road driving bumps and pot holes. whether its on the seitech's straps or gunnel flange, its still relying on the cheap chinese plastic parts of the seitech, which is outside the specs of that dolly. seitech's are not that durable. they are terribly overpriced, perhaps more so than the sail!

I agree with not wanting to trailer on the strap, but I've never had an issue with my 15-year-old Seitech. Have they switched the plastic material over the years?

I agree with not wanting to trailer on the strap, but I've never had an issue with my 15-year-old Seitech. Have they switched the plastic material over the years?

have you been using it for hand launching as it was designed or do you use to strap the boat to- onto another trailer that is used for trailering behind a vehicle?

i believe the connecting pieces have always been plastic. i've had seitech's for years without them breaking, recently i got a brand new one and the t-joint snapped during the first season

have you been using it for hand launching as it was designed or do you use to strap the boat to- onto another trailer that is used for trailering behind a vehicle?

i believe the connecting pieces have always been plastic. i've had seitech's for years without them breaking, recently i got a brand new one and the t-joint snapped during the first season

I've used my Right-On a couple times now and the ease of use is quite nice.

I haven't had any problems with the strap, it doesn't move around much, it's tight enough to hold it without damaging the deck (it doesn't even move my admittedly soft deck or hull). The loading/unloading is simple and fast. There's an extra lashing to do, but that's no big deal. Already having the boat on the dolly is very nice.

The kitty hawk you can use as a dolly, but you have to put your trailer in the water, which wears out the hubs and such faster, and you also have to unhook and rehook to your car, which is a pain.

Some of the powder coating isn't perfect, but considering I could buy two of these trailers before I could get a Kitty-Hawk, I think it's a good value. With a little preventive maintenance, and keeping up with scratches I think the rust can be prevented.

edit: I should also mention that Right-On took care of me. He was quick to help when the trailer arrived in bad condition. He compensated me with some freebies and some money so that I could fix it up.

So far I'd buy another one. I can't comment on the long term durability, since I've only had it a few weeks.

I've used my Right-On a couple times now and the ease of use is quite nice.

I haven't had any problems with the strap, it doesn't move around much, it's tight enough to hold it without damaging the deck (it doesn't even move my admittedly soft deck or hull). The loading/unloading is simple and fast. There's an extra lashing to do, but that's no big deal. Already having the boat on the dolly is very nice.

The kitty hawk you can use as a dolly, but you have to put your trailer in the water, which wears out the hubs and such faster, and you also have to unhook and rehook to your car, which is a pain.

Some of the powder coating isn't perfect, but considering I could buy two of these trailers before I could get a Kitty-Hawk, I think it's a good value. With a little preventive maintenance, and keeping up with scratches I think the rust can be prevented.

edit: I should also mention that Right-On took care of me. He was quick to help when the trailer arrived in bad condition. He compensated me with some freebies and some money so that I could fix it up.

So far I'd buy another one. I can't comment on the long term durability, since I've only had it a few weeks.

while i admire right-on for making the attempt, the kitty hawk has been supplying great trailers to sailors for years and years. it appears that your right-on has had problems from the get-go. i have never seen one, but i have a problem with the design. you shouldnt need to "fix-up" a brand new product. thats a hassle that most people dont want to deal with.

btw, i saved a TON Of money by getting my kitty hawk from APS (apsltd.com). even with the extra shipping charges it was still cheaper than my local dealor.

When using the Righton or Kitty Hawk, do you generally put spars on your car roof, or on the deck of the boat? I am going to be buying one of these in the spring.

My (third-hand) Laser came with a spar bag. I use a strap to tie the bag to the hull. But the Spar Partner system (see previous post) looks fine to me as a (possibly cheaper) alternative.

I'm in the market for a trailer and am interested in one of these that allow a singlehanded launch. The one concern I have, though, is trailering with the bottom down and exposed to rocks/tar/goo etc. while on the road. What are you folk's thoughts/solutions for this. I have a bottom cover. Is it feasible to put on a bottom cover with a boat on a dolly/trailer by yourself?

I drape the bottom cover over the supports of my Kitty Hawk before loading the boat, by either bow pivot or having someone help me lift it. I then pull the cover up over the edges of the boat. Done.

Back