Laser Trailer for the DIY crowd...

Very Senior Member
Here's some pictures of my cheap trailer. It uses a standard $250 Northern Tools trailer and modifications to make it Laser friendly. Material is a 10' piece of treated deck wood ( 5.5" wide, about an inch thick ) two 8" angles from the hardware store, two carpet scraps and a handful of nuts and bolts.

The main support is 50.25" across the back and 51.25" across the front. The actual vertical support is 13.5" long, and the outside 'decorative' support is 10.25. Assemble the support, put it on the trailer temporarily and let your boat tell you where it needs to be bolted down.

The front wheel does not come with the trailer either.. it's a normal swivel castor, added primarily because I'm lazy.

I picked the boat up for the pictures, but the clearance picture is with it sitting on it's gunwales, in a proper Laser trailer configuration.

KT, the dolly is coming soon (c:

Side View

1114-side-view-1.jpg
1114-side-view-1.jpg

Support View

1108-support-1.jpg

Inner Support View

1110-angle-mounting.jpg

Bow Support

1111-bow-mount-1.jpg

Bow Wheel

1112-bow-mount-2.jpg

Support secured to the trailer

1109-underview-mount.jpg

Clearance View

1113-clearance.jpg

Hi, did your photos properly upload? I see broken image links. I use the same cheap trailer, with my boat on my dolly resting on the frame.

I will have to source them from somewhere else. I can see them, but I think it's cause they are cached on my computer. Will return after a bit (c:

I'd love to see pix of your application as well. That's the next step, I think (c:

I'll post some when I bring my boat home from the club. It's basically a simplified version of the Rite on trailer set up. Any good places to sail in the winter in NC??

OK, let's try again. Sorry for the earlier confusion...

Here's some pictures of my cheap trailer. It uses a standard $250 Northern Tools trailer and modifications to make it Laser friendly. Material is a 10' piece of treated deck wood ( 5.5" wide, about an inch thick ) two 8" angles from the hardware store, two carpet scraps and a handful of nuts and bolts.

The main support is 50.25" across the back and 51.25" across the front. The actual vertical support is 13.5" long, and the outside 'decorative' support is 10.25. Assemble the support, put it on the trailer temporarily and let your boat tell you where it needs to be bolted down.

The front wheel does not come with the trailer either.. it's a normal swivel castor, added primarily because I'm lazy.

I picked the boat up for the pictures, but the clearance picture is with it sitting on it's gunwales, in a proper Laser trailer configuration.

KT! , the dolly is coming soon (c:

Side View
Side View 1.jpg

Support View
Support 1.jpg

Inner Support View
Angle Mounting.jpg

Bow Support
Bow Mount 1.jpg

Bow Wheel
Bow Mount 2.jpg

Support Secured to Trailer
Underview Mount.jpg

Clearance View
Clearance.jpg

Like the Design a lot. I looked up the trailer web site. Did not see th e bow support as part of standard trailer configuration. Did you make that and put it on?

There's a guy in our fleet that made a really cool design similar to that but it is much more functional for a racer, but would also make it easy for a day sailor as long as you have a dolly, I'll take a picture if he has it next weekend

What I did was find a small boat trailer on craigslist, its a little bigger than the northern trailer but its great, you can usually find a used one cheaper if you look,

I can put my boat and dolly on it singlehanded which is the main reason I got it,

I will probably modify it a little more to make it even easier to use and then take some pics, it works sorta like the intensity trailer

559610_10151052710776277_672200351_n.jpg
156625_10151052712036277_1174275362_n.jpg
559610_10151052710776277_672200351_n.jpg156625_10151052712036277_1174275362_n.jpg525811_10151052711376277_1192753230_n.jpg Hi. I like your trailer. I just did mine. I started out with a load rite trailer I already owned. There used to be a box on top of it that the boat went on upside down. Got tired of asking people for help. Took the box off, and made supports. The two in the back are 2" x 4"s reinforced with plywood where the dolly goes into the groove. The center channel is a 2 x 4 on the bottom with 1 x 4 for the sides. The roller in the center came from the trailer parts store. When I started, trailer was already ten years old, so I replaced the bearings, the lights, the third wheel in the front, repaired the spare. Yesterday was the maiden voyage. It worked well. At the end of a cold, wet sail in the rain, I was able to put my boat away by myself. A few things I like about the Load Rite Bandit trailer: hot dipped galvanized, welded, big wheels (around 12 inch). That said, if I had not already owned it, I woulda bought the same trailer you see above and created a similar system.

View attachment 10429View attachment 10430View attachment 10429View attachment 10430View attachment 10431 Hi. I like your trailer. I just did mine. I started out with a load rite trailer I already owned. There used to be a box on top of it that the boat went on upside down. Got tired of asking people for help. Took the box off, and made supports. The two in the back are 2" x 4"s reinforced with plywood where the dolly goes into the groove. The center channel is a 2 x 4 on the bottom with 1 x 4 for the sides. The roller in the center came from the trailer parts store. When I started, trailer was already ten years old, so I replaced the bearings, the lights, the third wheel in the front, repaired the spare. Yesterday was the maiden voyage. It worked well. At the end of a cold, wet sail in the rain, I was able to put my boat away by myself. A few things I like about the Load Rite Bandit trailer: hot dipped galvanized, welded, big wheels (around 12 inch). That said, if I had not already owned it, I woulda bought the same trailer you see above and created a similar system.
This is a really slick design. Very well done.

Richard,

We have a trailer with just a center member, but would like to make your design- Are you still as pleased with it after a few years of use? Is there anything you'd do differently?

Thanks,

Helen
Raleigh, NC

View attachment 10429View attachment 10430View attachment 10429View attachment 10430View attachment 10431 Hi. I like your trailer. I just did mine. I started out with a load rite trailer I already owned. There used to be a box on top of it that the boat went on upside down. Got tired of asking people for help. Took the box off, and made supports. The two in the back are 2" x 4"s reinforced with plywood where the dolly goes into the groove. The center channel is a 2 x 4 on the bottom with 1 x 4 for the sides. The roller in the center came from the trailer parts store. When I started, trailer was already ten years old, so I replaced the bearings, the lights, the third wheel in the front, repaired the spare. Yesterday was the maiden voyage. It worked well. At the end of a cold, wet sail in the rain, I was able to put my boat away by myself. A few things I like about the Load Rite Bandit trailer: hot dipped galvanized, welded, big wheels (around 12 inch). That said, if I had not already owned it, I woulda bought the same trailer you see above and created a similar system.
JoJo,

This looks really nice, and I think I could modify my trailer for this scenario too, and it would be much more convenient for me to get the boat on the water alone.

I have a simple question for dolly/trailer combo users: How do you secure the dolly/boat to the trailer? Do you use straps? Do you just tie the boat to the trailer, and the sandwiched dolly stays put? I'm sure the answer is obvious to most of you, but I'd appreciate someone describing it for me. I'm trying to modify my existing trailer either for a dolly or just for gunwale support.

Thanks very much

Helen

Back