Hey, so I'm currently using the Black Diamond tiller and it keeps hitting the cleat for the traveler. I have done so many repairs on it but in the end it just ends up hitting the cleat after a day out sailing... Does anyone have any tips on how to stop this problem?
I also have the XD tiller but I think that one is pretty crappy.

Check your gudgeons for play. If they're worn out the tiller will sit lower and hit the cleat. Sometimes just flipping the gudgeons will remove the slop an solve your problem.
E

Is there vertical play in your tiller? My guess is that's your problem.
the mate between the tiller and rudder head should be very tight w no play whatsoever.

You can get better purchase on the rudder tie down line by adding a few truckers hitches to the system.
I have a hitch between the two pintle's and another just outside the rudder head, this gives me a 4:1 purchase.
I crank it on hard.

if you are still hitting the cleat, you need to shim the bottom of the tiller where it goes into the rudder... Or buy a new tiller.

Is there vertical play in your tiller? My guess is that's your problem.
the mate between the tiller and rudder head should be very tight w no play whatsoever.
He knows that. It's what he's tried to fix, unsuccessfully so far.
You can get better purchase on the rudder tie down line by adding a few truckers hitches to the system.
I have a hitch between the two pintle's and another just outside the rudder head, this gives me a 4:1 purchase.
A trucker's hitch gives a 3:1 purchase. If you have two you get a 9:1. The first 3:1 doesn't contribute to the tiller/rudder head joint tightness though, so you might as well only have the one along the tiller. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott already has it rigged like that.

Last edited:
He knows that. It's what he's tried to fix, unsuccessfully so far.
A trucker's hitch gives a 3:1 purchase. If you have two you get a 9:1. The first 3:1 doesn't contribute to the tiller/rudder head joint tightness though, so you might as well only have the one along the tiller. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott already has it rigged like that.
Yeah, I have it rigged like that.

So do you get play in the tiller?
You mentioned in the OP that you start hitting the cleat "after a day out sailing". Does that mean it doesn't hit when you rig up?

So do you get play in the tiller?
You mentioned in the OP that you start hitting the cleat "after a day out sailing". Does that mean it doesn't hit when you rig up?
yes, it's lifted pretty high when i rig but as soon as i tighten the traveler really hard and sail, there's quite a bit of give in it and it ends up just hitting the clear when i try to head up or tack

my XD tiller is worse, it hits the traveler knot and then also the cleat
This sounds like it's not the tillers' fault. As Emilio suggested, you should check your rudder fittings. In addition to pictures of your Black Diamond, you could post a few of your gudgeons, from close-up and above.

The class rules allows spacers attached to the pintles, so this might be your solution anyway, at least temporally.

Is your tiller fitting all the way into the rudder head? I actually had to sand my Black Diamond tiller down a bit to make it fit (I think that was 15 years ago). I think the need to do this is intentional so you have a snug fit.

It is beginning to sound like your rudder head itself is the culprit. Is there any way for you to borrow another rudder head to verify if the problem still exists? -- Ed

Back