Laser Storage

JuanCH

Hi! I store my Laser indoors with a breathable cover, now, do I have to keep the bung in or out? What about the bailer open or closed? I have received mixed arguments. The Laser holds no moisture, it's almost new. Thanks!

Hi! I store my Laser indoors with a breathable cover, now, do I have to keep the bung in or out? What about the bailer open or closed? I have received mixed arguments. The Laser holds no moisture, it's almost new. Thanks!

If I were storing my boat indoors (properly indoors not just in under a roof) I would store it with no cover on, the hull bung out and the cockpit bung open. You will (alomst) always get some condensation on the boat. this why some people put hatches in their boat immediately so they can keep the hull dry. I am soncering putting one in my 120,000 boat in an effort to keep it drp (you can also easily see if the hull starts to take on water).

Just my 2p....

When I stored my boat in the garage (before it was filled with my SO's stuff...) I would elevate the bow, pull back the cover to expose the cockpit, remove both access ports, and open both bungs. The idea was to give the boat the best chance to dry out between sails.

My boat leaks a little around one access port, so there was always a little moisture inside the hull, and the cockpit was always a little damp even after the drive home.

When I stored my boat in the garage (before it was filled with my SO's stuff...) I would elevate the bow, pull back the cover to expose the cockpit, remove both access ports, and open both bungs. The idea was to give the boat the best chance to dry out between sails.

My boat leaks a little around one access port, so there was always a little moisture inside the hull, and the cockpit was always a little damp even after the drive home.

OT: whenever I trailer my boat I do it without a cover and the ports off, to cycle air through it... The boat is old and beat up so I'm not too worried about trailering it naked.

IMHO

If the boat is inside, then there is no need for a cover, and every effort should be made to get air to circulate and dry out the inside. Even if the boat is water tight, changes in temperatiure will facilitate condensation inside the hull. When I store my boat, I remove all the inspection port covers and also the stern plug.

Back