Laser storage - what not to do?

GeoffS

I seem to remember an article about the things to avoid when storing Lasers. Things like where *not* to place the bunks, etc.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Best method is to store on it's side, weight on the rail (Vanguard stacks them on the transom rail, but that's so they can squeeze as many as possible on their storage floor space)

Next best is upside down - support at bow, mast step, aft edge of cockpit, transom or anywhere out along the rails - make sure no water in hull, it will soak into the airex core of the deck

If you have to store it right side up, best support is under the rails, ie the way the dollys do. If you can support under the rails, support under the bow, mast step, aft cockpit, transom (you don't need to support in all those areas, but those are the strongest areas - 3 to 6" wide support . Avoid the areas between front of cockpit and mast step, and behind the aft cockpit to the transom

The funniest thing I ever saw on how to store your Laser was when someone answered a post similair to yours with, "Put your couch outside with a cover on it and keep your Laser in the living room". Of course that wouldn't work to well if you live with someone else.

Originally posted by doinghomework
The funniest thing I ever saw on how to store your Laser was when someone answered a post similair to yours with, "Put your couch outside with a cover on it and keep your Laser in the living room". Of course that wouldn't work to well if you live with someone else.

Works for me...
(my Laser actually lives in the garage where my wife's car would go... FWIW, my car's spot in the garage is taken up by the DN iceboat trailer... not to worry, my wife's horse has a nice warm stall that we pay good $ for, so it all evens out in the end...)

Unfortunately, the Lasers I'm asking for are owned by a sailing club, so they have to live outdoors.

After talking with some people at the club, it sounds like I need to know the best places to support a boat stored upside down. I think the answer is a bunk at the mast, and one right at the aft end of the cockpit. Any better locations?

Thanks to all!

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Excellent timing on this thread as I just put our boat in the garage.

So my question? Can I keep the hull on the Seitech dolly all winter? Or would I be better served by placing upside down, supported as suggested above? Garage is unheated by the way - its gets cold Brrrrr.

What about those hanging sling systems?

If you have the Seitech with the flip-up rail supports, it will be happy year round on the rail supports and the bow support. If you don't have the flip up rail supports, you can flip the boat over and let it rest bottom side up in the dolly - that removes and chance of the sling causing the bottom to become less fair.

The garage hanging systems are great if you only have yourself to get the boat up overhead - you can usually drive the boat in on top of the car, hook the slings up and hoist away.

Thanks 49,

My wife's from Madison, Ct. She and her skipper were a nationally ranked hobie team in the 70's.

We miss LI Sound.

An aside on cool storage systems. The fellow I bought my boat from had a garage with a fairly high ceiling. He had designed the trailer so that the trailer/boat combination balanced right at the centerboard trunk. This allowed him to hang the boat/trailer combination from a single-point. He constructed a crosspiece that fit under the trailer frame connected to a strap that passed up through the centerboard slot and attached to the hoisting tackle. The boat sat on the trailer just like it did goig down the road (supported on the rails and bow), just hanging from the ceiling in the garage! To go sailing all he did was lower the boat to the garage floor, disconnect the lifting gear, hook up to the car, and drive off.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

The glossey insert mag. that came in the last 'Laser Sailor' had an article with drawings on this subject.
If upsidedown DO NOT support the boat forward of the mast step or aft of the aft end of the cockpit.

Originally posted by hoipolloi
The glossey insert mag. that came in the last 'Laser Sailor' had an article with drawings on this subject. ...
That's where I read about it! Many thanks for the pointer, I just checked my folder of TLSes and found it right away.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

What about the sail?

I've brought the sail and boards indoors for the winter, but it occurred to me that keeping the sail folded in the bag might not be the best.

Do I need to store the sail laid out? It'll be hard to do indoors, is temperature a factor on the sail cloth or widow plastic if left in the garage??

Re: What about the sail?

Originally posted by LaserChef
I've brought the sail and boards indoors for the winter, but it occurred to me that keeping the sail folded in the bag might not be the best.

Do I need to store the sail laid out? It'll be hard to do indoors, is temperature a factor on the sail cloth or widow plastic if left in the garage??

Ideally you would roll it up (not to tight - a 3" or 4" ID is good, anything smaller can leave some nice wrinkles in the head patch)

Avoid leaving it where mice/rats are living- they will chew thru dacron.

Freezing temps are not a problem with the cloth or the window material when stored, unless you have a hard fold right on the window - occasionally it will crack on that fold.

Does it really matter if you leaved it stored all winter, folder in the bag as opposed to rolled ? Only for the first hour or so of sailing afterwords, after the creases from folding dissapear. Laser cloth is not heavily resinated like some of the other OD classes. If you think about it, your new sail most likely spent anywhere from a 2 months to 6 months sitting folded up in the bag waiting for you to buy it, and plenty of folks show up at big regattas with a new sail right out of the bag...

JMHO

If inside space is limited and you have ample flat ground outside invest in a "temporary carport" from walmart. It is a canopy with walls, tarp fitted over a frame of steel or alum. poles, most go for about $100(US) and they are great for storing multiple lasers in over the winter months. you can get about 10 inside if you find the right size and stack them on their sides. but why store them when you can frostbite?

Originally posted by Braecrest
...but why store them when you can frostbite?
Too busy iceboating! :D

Cheers,

Geoff S.
DN US-5156/Laser 145234/Renegade 510

Attachments

• dn360_cropped_small.jpg
    dn360_cropped_small.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 87
Originally posted by Goonie
How much does one of them cost?
Anywhere from about $1000 to ...

A decent starter DN (the boat above) for club-racing would cost about $2500; upgrading to a a boat that would be competative at the district and national level would add another $2000 or so. After that, the sky's the limit (almost) on various go-fasts.

Other really popular classes are the Nite and Renegade. They're both larger than the DN. A decent example of either one will usually fetch about $4000-$6000 (a bit more for a Renegade).

A good starting place for iceboating information on the web is:
http://iceboat.org/
The DN class has a pretty active discussion group at:
http://cerebus.winsite.com/DNboard/DNmain.html

If anyone has more questions about iceboating, feel free to drop me a line at:
sobering(insert an "at" sign)mailbag(insert a "dot")com

Cheers,

Geoff S.

if i were to hang my laser from the ceiling how should i? hang it right side up with hooks on the gunnels or use straps along the bottom? i can't hang my trailer or dolley up with it. or should i hang it upside down and use straps that way?

There is a very good hanging system around that simply uses pulleys and the deck faces downwards. I know you can buy it from Annapolis Performance Sailing under the one design boat parts and I believe it may be under the trailers section. You can get to APS's site here: www.apsltd.com. I think it costs around $125....but I here it works well.

Back