laser standard mast vs radial mast

calicosine

what is the difference between the standard mast and the radial mast? can you make a radial mast out of a standard mast? i have an extra standard mast and am thinking of moving down to a radial sail because of my weight. on very windy days i'm way too light to be able to handle the big rig.i'm o.k on the big rig up to about 15, but over that and i can't seem to be able to keep the big rig upright no matter how hard i hike.

calicosine said:
what is the difference between the standard mast and the radial mast? can you make a radial mast out of a standard mast? i have an extra standard mast and am thinking of moving down to a radial sail because of my weight. on very windy days i'm way too light to be able to handle the big rig.i'm o.k on the big rig up to about 15, but over that and i can't seem to be able to keep the big rig upright no matter how hard i hike.

The radial mast has more flex to it than the standard, so it's not just a matter of cutting off a few feet. The aluminum is thinner to let it bend. I guess that helps to spill wind when yanking on the controls. A Radial sail won't act right without a Radial mast.

Some advice on keeping the rig upright in heavy air--yank on all the sail controls and ease, ease, ease. Sheet in fast when tacking. 140 pound sailors at my club keep the boat up in heavy air so with the right techniques, it's possible.

Terry, if you want to borrow a radial rig sometime let me know. I have two radial rigs.

The Radial section is bendier, so the mast can bend aft further and give what Ian Bruce believes to be the correct amount of weather helm.

Back