Laser Sportsman

mr mayor

Hi all,
I've found a potential seller for a laser I want to buy for a good price, but he claims to have a Laser Sportsman in "Lexington Lake Murray Georgia." The problem is Lake Murray is in South Carolina and i've never heard of a Laser Sportsman and can't find anything on the net. Thoughts?

Ask for more pictures and post them here. We'll figure out if it's the real thing.

Does he have more details? Sail number, building year, etc?

Yep, that's it! And that's what i said, seemed to be some red flags, although i didn't know enough about it to know that pic was of a radial. I had asked for the serial number and some pics, and here's what he sent. Red flags, yes, but i'm wondering if he just doesn't know what he has and wants to sell it. I think i can make out that sail # as 112234. When i asked if he could show it with Thanksgiving and all he just said he'd 'be at the lake sat and sun.' That's it. I'll just show up on some random jetty at 6am and what.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

No, I don't think so. That boat has a radial sail 18xxx
The picture submitted by the seller shows a very wrinkled sail 115534 (?). As an aside, it looks to me that the numbers were put on wrong.
The sail isn't that important though, what matters are the hull, spars and boards.
The hull and rudder look OK from a distance, but to really tell one would need much better close ups.

PS: it appears that the seller doesn't know much about Lasers.

I'm pretty sure that is '95 Laser based on the side markings. Granted it's hard to tell from the crappy photos, but it looks to be in decent shape and not sailed much. Not sure what the story is on the sail. However $1000 is certainly not a bad price, assuming it is legit. If you don't have to drive far, and you can figure out how to keep from getting mugged, it might be worth looking into.

Thank you. And by the way Torrid, yes that was the same and correct ad you found that i did. I'd still appreciate any further replies from anyone.

It's definitely a 1995 Sunfish Laser -built boat; the graphics are unmistakable. The sail (which obviously is a Standard, not a Radial) is from a 1983 boat, and as Wavedancer noticed, has the digits too close to one another. You'll find the real (hull) number on a sticker on the back wall of the cockpit, it should be roughly in the 156000-158000 range.

For a thousand dollars, it's a steal.

Back