Laser Sheet diameter?

JuanCH

should I go for a 7 mm sheet? 8 mm seems way too much and 6mm just don't know. any ideas? thanks

Here’s a photo of the mainsheet that come with my Laser and the one I am replacing it with. The old one was way too thick, the new one is 8mm diameter to suit my 3XL hands
E5C67101-E37F-466B-BFC6-656AFE4247A5.jpeg

should I go for a 7 mm sheet? 8 mm seems way too much and 6mm just don't know. any ideas? thanks
I would suggest going for a Rooster 6mm mainsheet. It's the best on the market and almost all top sailors use it + it's suprisingly not that expensive. They also have a 7 mm version, but the 6 mm one runs better through the blocks.

Use what is comfortable for you. If you have a big hand, it makes sense to use a bigger diameter sheet for comfort, regardless of what the top sailors use. I can't imagine trying to use or sheet with paracord diameter lines either, it would probably be the same as using dental floss :D, so the smaller isn't necessarily the better for everyone. You have to feel comfortable holding the sheet, and large handed people are at a disadvantage using smaller diameter lines, basic physiology and mechanics of the hand.

Depends, I like the rooster 5.5mm or the marlow super prestretch 6mm (I don't think anyone else considers this a laser mainsheet lol) I feel like the smaller diameter runs better downwind. I have been using a 7mm a bit to try it out but I haven't decided if its better in breeze or not.

My opinion is the best bang for the. I know is New England Bzzz. I keep two rolls in stock. 7mm and 8 mm. I like the thinner stuff. Many local Sunfish and Laser sailors like the fatter.
It doesn’t tangle as much as the Rooster and lasts longer
Currently, I am using Robline Dinghy Sheet 7mm because it runs wonderfully, is super easy on the hands, and has imperceptible stretch. …. But it costs at Jesse twice as much as BZZZ.

Back