Laser sails

Ninie

Quick question...

How do you know if your laser sail is worn out ?

I've read about the stitches and the leech and also about the sail stretching of the clothing which in turn makes the sail "deeper" but how do you measure is ?

Annie

annie to measure your sails performance:- the position i finished minus the position i think i should finish divided by the number of things you can blame excluding your self. lol seriously the state at which you discard a sail depends on your personal budget and what level you sail at .and the conditions in which you are sailing.people who sail at top level will buy new every season but will have perhaps 3 others in various states of wear for windy days,club racing,practise.if its lost its crispy feel,and is 2/3 seasons old and the folk you race against have bettersails and you have enough cash burning a hole in your purse buy new .but dont leave flapping,wet,fold carefully use on windy days cause if you look carefully you can watch the crisp £5 notes flutter off it .hope this helps sean

you can usually gauge the condition of the sail though how easy it is to crank on the cunningham, and also how much effect it has on the sail in comparison with a newer sail

i had an ten year old sail when i first went into full rigs that i would have to pull the cunningham down 2 inches past the gooseneck to get any effect from it and when i pulled on the outhaul it would be tight for a few minutes then slowly stretch loose, then id tighten it and eventually id have no more adjustment left

If you are talking about worn out for racing, Murphs' suggestion is good. Another way to judge is two or more boat sailing in medium air (8-10 kts or before you have to start to depower), sailing upwind. If you can't point as well as the other boats, the sail is worn out.

Back