Laser Sailing in London

LukeH

Hi everyone

I have been an avid sailor since childhood but have been out of it for a few years and am looking to get back into competitive sailing. I have recently moved from South Africa to London. Does anyone know where would be a good place to look in the London area. Travelling a little to get there is not a problem. If there are club boats that would be a plus as I can't buy one at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

Hi everyone

I have been an avid sailor since childhood but have been out of it for a few years and am looking to get back into competitive sailing. I have recently moved from South Africa to London. Does anyone know where would be a good place to look in the London area. Travelling a little to get there is not a problem. If there are club boats that would be a plus as I can't buy one at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke
Having just moved away from England back to the Colonies, I can make a good recommendation for you to check out. GrAfham Water Sailing Club has a great Laser fleet and a great Lake to sail upon. Tell them Richard the Yank sent you. Maybe I can get a discount when I manage to find another excuse to live in England. It'll be an hour+ commute for you but probably the closest decent sailing facility. Good luck.

Hi Luke
Why not have a look at Island Barn Reservoir Sailing Club in Molesey. We are a friendly club are the sole users of 120 acres of open water, and have club sailing or racing 4 days a week at this time of year. We have good Laser fleet of 30+ boats and 6 club Lasers for hire at only £5 per day currently.
Maybe see you soon
Paul
Laser 170487

Paul,

What a great use of a reservoir! I met a young UK Topper sailor on holiday down here. Those are very good transition boats to the Laser. Unfortunately AU is going more towards Opti's for all ages. then make the large leap into a Laser 4.7. There are some Open Bic fleets which are great for the 12-15 year olds.

Hi CaptainAhab
Thanks for the positive feedback. Our sailing school seems very popular, with youngsters starting in Oppies, moving then to centre-main rigged Toppers before then going to either Fevas or Laser 4.7/Radial. Some then go to a 29er or an RS200. Much more choice than there was in my day (I won't say when that was!)
Cheers
Paul

Hi All

I too am moving to London from NZ. I want to keep my Laser sailing up and am actively competing. Sadly I wont have any access to a car for awhile so a club with easy public transport from the city centre is ideal.

Any thoughts?

Hi All

I too am moving to London from NZ. I want to keep my Laser sailing up and am actively competing. Sadly I wont have any access to a car for awhile so a club with easy public transport from the city centre is ideal.

Any thoughts?
Depend where you will live, there is several clubs in London. There is very nice club with strong Laser fleet near Wembley - Welsh Harp Sailing Club. King George Sailing Club looks interesting, as its water is probably obstacle free, which is sometimes an issue in London Reservoirs. You might also try some clubs around the coast if you are happy to travel by train. I sail in Fishers Green Sailing Club, which is located in rural area (Lea Valley Park) and car is very useful to get there.

Last edited:
I think you are very unlikely to get any information from the UK Laser Class Website unless prepared to pay to join. I am a Brit living in Thailand and have attempted to find information from there in the past when looking to get a Laser. Couldn’t access the forum, second hand boat list or even a download of the journal. Managed to find a boat here in Thai in the end. Might find easier to change to an OK or Solo in UK as there websites are much more guest friendly

In the past I have been a member of King George, Fishers Green to the North of London and Island Barn Sailing Club in the South West of London. Not Sure how many Lasers are Sailed Regularly at any of those Clubs. Fishers Green and Island Barn had regular Solo fleet Racing and certainly had lasers Racing, but not sure if they had Class starts or handicap at Fishers Green. Pretty sure only Handicap at Island Barn.
Also not sure of public transport to fishers green. Probably combination of Train, buses to other two. Or there is also Queen Mary S C to west London, and London Corinthian on the Thames at Hammersmith

Thank you very much guys,

I will continue to do some research and hopefully find a suitable place. Might just have to do proper weekends away if I want to keep sailing!

Back