Laser Sailboat Identification

PFlon

Hi,

I was given a laser sailboat about 8 years ago and only put it in the water 4 times. Since then, it's been stored. I'm trying to identify the year of the boat but am having some questions, even after using the laser identification page. My hull number is ZFS69652M79B. Any help with this would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has any idea on what I can ask for this, that would be helpful as well. When we received this as a gift 8 years ago, I know it cost them $5000 for it. Everything is in very good shape, along with a new trailer.

Thanks,

Peter

Something (?) is odd; your description doesn't seem to match the ID
I am speculating (!) that the B is really an 8
The boat was made by Performance Sailcraft (ZFS), but ZFS stopped making boats in 1985
The sail number (69652) also suggests that your boat is way older than you think.

My sleuthing could be way off...

Something (?) is odd; your description doesn't seem to match the ID
I am speculating (!) that the B is really an 8
The boat was made by Performance Sailcraft (ZFS), but ZFS stopped making boats in 1985
The sail number (69652) also suggests that your boat is way older than you think.

My sleuthing could be way off...

Thanks for your quick response. I thought the same thing about the B really being an 8 but went out and double checked and it definitely looks to be the letter "B". I really have no idea how old the boat is or could be. It's in really good shape but still don't have an idea on year. This boat was not new when it was given to me, although it looked like it was in almost new condition. Very well taken care of. Does the number suggest the year 1979 then? I'm really just trying to get accurate information so I can list properly along with a fair price to both me and the buyer.

Thanks John. Your post confirms my earlier speculation. But the NADA pricing is way off. I would suggest that a fair value for this boat (including the trailer, and assuming all is in great shape) is considerably more than $1345, but less than $5000 (see the original post). I am not going to be more specific than that; will leave that to others :) .

1979 boats would have the 'old' rigging, unless it was updated...

Thanks John. Your post confirms my earlier speculation. But the NADA pricing is way off. I would suggest that a fair value for this boat (including the trailer, and assuming all is in great shape) is considerably more than $1345, but less than $5000 (see the original post). I am not going to be more specific than that; will leave that to others :) .

1979 boats would have the 'old' rigging, unless it was updated...

The "List Price" is the original manufacturer's suggested price. $1345 in 1979 — valued somewhere between $740 and $830 today.

The NADA pricing assumes "general care" was given over the years. They also state that a well cared for boat can sell for more. New sails, upgraded rigging, no leaking seams, no scratches, etc. would increase the value.

A new Laser is $5,725 — $6,065 — $6,545 depending on rigging. Unless the '79 Laser is in museum condition, it would not be worth $5,000 to most people since they could get a new one for just s bit more.

Can anyone help me ID my sail number from this number found on the back of my Laser. I bought the boat around 1985 / 86.

ZIdd 3987c888

Thanks
Chris

ZID = Performance Sailcraft Canada builder
D3987 = Sail number #133987 (A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13,... for first two sailnumber digits)
C888 = Built sometime in 1988

I picked up a laser at an estate sale and am trying to figure out what I have. The HIN is PFS155800474, I am guessing this means the boat was made 04-74 but what is PFS? The boat appears to be a real laser, but if it is truly a 1974 I am confused as the boat is in perfect condition and does not appear to have ever been sailed. The centerboard is still in the original box and the sail still has the factory folds in it. I do not see a single scratch on the bottom of the boat or any signs of wear anywhere. The boat and parts look like it just rolled off the assembly line. If this is really a 1974 what is it worth?

I picked up a laser at an estate sale and am trying to figure out what I have. The HIN is PFS155800474, I am guessing this means the boat was made 04-74 but what is PFS? The boat appears to be a real laser, but if it is truly a 1974 I am confused as the boat is in perfect condition and does not appear to have ever been sailed. The centerboard is still in the original box and the sail still has the factory folds in it. I do not see a single scratch on the bottom of the boat or any signs of wear anywhere. The boat and parts look like it just rolled off the assembly line. If this is really a 1974 what is it worth?

MIC.................... Company .............................. Address .......................... City............... State
PFS ................PERFORMANCE SAILING LLC.............. 7366 EDGEWOOD RD .............ANNAPOLIS........MD

A fascinating find!

Actually I found this in another blog and it makes sense:

PFS = Performance Sailcraft (1971-1974) (Montreal, Québec, Canada: still manufacturing outside of the Americas.)

The sail bag has Canadian markings on it

Actually I found this in another blog and it makes sense:
PFS = Performance Sailcraft (1971-1974) (Montreal, Québec, Canada: still manufacturing outside of the Americas.)
The sail bag has Canadian markings on it

The MIC (Manufacturer Identification Code) "PFS" is listed in the USCG database as the Annapolis MD manufacturing site.
The MIC (Manufacturer Identification Code) "ZFS" is listed in the USCG database as the Les Voiliers Performance Inc., Pointe Claire QC manufacturing site.

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic1.aspx?mic=PFS&sort=mic

My 1978 Laser was a ZFS manufactured boat.

Hello. I recently purchased a 14' Laser (I think). The hull number is hard to read but I believe it is ZFS00050M7501. It definitely begins with "Z" and the next character looks like a "5" but it must be an "F" so I assumed "ZFS".

The "00050M" is perfectly legible as is the "75" that follows though it could be "78". The last two characters are again hard to read, but appear to be "01".

Any guesses? Is it possibly "ZFS00050M7501"

Thanks
IMG_0738.JPG

Many pictures please! Bow profile, transom from directly behind, cockpit, equipment details, and yes, most importantly the sail and its markings. This one looks interesting.

_

Sorry, pictures duplicated for some reason. Sail marking looks like a sideways "B" with the number 109.

Sorry for all the duplicate and giant pictures. I was doing this from my phone and it appears pictures got duplicated. I thought the sail manufacture tag might help. I will try to rig the sails the next time I am with the boat. It is in storage.

Genco Marine still exists in Mississauga, but they probably haven't made sails for a long time. Still, the initial "Z" in the code alone tells it's Canadian-built. Too bad the next two letters are really illegible. I assume "00050" means that it's the 50th boat of that class that the manufacturer built, and "7501" stands for January 1975.
Sail marking looks like a sideways "B" with the number 109.
A picture of that would help a lot, as well as pictures of the bow profile and the centreboard tip profile, and the hull length and max beam measurements.

_

I will go back and take some more pictures and step the mast and rig the sale. Thank you all for your kind efforts in identifying the manufacturer.

Hello. Thank you again for your help in identifying this boat. The length is 14'9" not including the tiller. The beam is 4'10". Here are some pictures. I only partially rigged the boat as the wind was picking up.

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_164951.jpg
    IMG_20190914_164951.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20190914_155431.jpg
    IMG_20190914_155431.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20190914_154624.jpg
    IMG_20190914_154624.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20190914_154548.jpg
    IMG_20190914_154548.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20190914_154525.jpg
    IMG_20190914_154525.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20190914_154512.jpg
    IMG_20190914_154512.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20190914_154505.jpg
    IMG_20190914_154505.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20190914_154412.jpg
    IMG_20190914_154412.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 52
I often start my posts with "Interesting" :D This boat is certainly that, almost dreamlike with all its strange details.

The boat that ticks most of the boxes is the (Canadian) Flash, built from 1974 by Koma Boats (who later built Sunfish) near London, Ontario. Their identification code is ZKO.

What is most off is the hull length, which is half a metre less. The beam is a match, as are many general details. Your boat could be a little-known longer version offshoot of this.

Some observations:
  • the deck has obviously been repainted (over the Clamcleats!), but the boat hasn't been sailed since, as there are no signs of wear on the surface
  • the big forward deck hatch is unusual on this size and type of boat - have you looked inside?
  • the lateral Clamcleats and the adjacent horn cleat are strange, with no obvious use
  • is the boom really pre-bent like that?
  • the T-shaped hiking strap is weird... it would probably be best to adjust so that it's as tight as possible.

_

Hello Lali. Thank you for your insights. Yes, I know the boat was repaired by the person I got it from. I am trying to learn more of the provenance.

I have looked inside the hatch, nothing notable.

When I look at the hull ID, it looks like ZB....but I can't be certain and I can't make out that third character at all despite Photoshop enhancements and tombstone rubbing.

I cannot speak to the bend in the boom. I don't see distortion, but I know that aluminum can bend and maybe it happened through use. I could theorize that it was a way of providing more head clearance so you don't get clocked by it, but I know nothing of sailboat design.

If I learn more from the seller, I will post.

Back