Class Politics Laser Sail - $ to LCNA or ILCA?

At $485, Laser sails are pretty expensive, for what is really a very simple sail made from inexpensive materials.

I have always assumed that some portion of the cost goes to one of the cLass associations.

Does anyone know how much they get per sail, and who gets it?

WestCoast said:
that seems like a pretty small % of the total cost (roughly 2%). hmmmmmmm.........

Isn't the idea to help keep the class financially stable with the various dues and royalties? If they are doing that with a $10-15 royalty button, good on 'em and I say lets leave it at that. Any additional royalty fee on the sail just ends up getting pushed out to the end user.

I certainly have no objection - I was just wondering to what extent it could explain the high cost of the Laser sail. The answer appears to be: not much.

I guess the reason that the Laser sail costs as much as it does, is because of the "retail" model by which it is marketed. It probably goes through distributors, and then dealers, each of which have a markup. The benefit to sailors is that we can walk into a store, and buy one when we need it. The downside is that it's expensive.

I certainly have no objection - I was just wondering to what extent it could explain the high cost of the Laser sail. The answer appears to be: not much.

I guess the reason that the Laser sail costs as much as it does, is because of the "retail" model by which it is marketed. It probably goes through distributors, and then dealers, each of which have a markup. The benefit to sailors is that we can walk into a store, and buy one when we need it. The downside is that it's expensive.

Back