Laser sail numbers

Leave it blank.

If the sail is really only good for practicing, then it doesn't matter the slightest what numbers or letters or anything it has or doesn't have. Any rules covering sail markings (like all other rules) only apply when racing. Just write your name and phone number near the clew so you (and everyone else) will recognize it, even when rolled or folded.

On the same note, I really, really don't understand why people waste their money on new "practice" sails in the first place. Why don't you buy a racing sail and relegate it to a practice sail when it's worn enough? Why does a practice sail have to be new and shiny?

Well mainly because of the cost. For most of are racing are local clubs have no problem using these sails unless its a sanctioned laser reggata.

If the officials in your local clubs are ignorant/incompetent/lazy enough to allow racing with fake sails, why would 0ne expect they give a damn about sail numbers?

If you want to be recognized on the water, just take some sail cloth tape of your favourite colour and stick your initials on the sail.

For many fleets on the East Coast of the USA, the horse (strict adherence to class rules) has left the barn long ago as far as club racing is concerned. I, and many others, do use non-legal sails for our frostbiting and summer evening sails.

But to get back to the original question, I strongly suggest that you put your sail numbers on as formulated in the class rules.
http://issuu.com/laserclass/docs/laser_handbook_2015_hr/0

This will look neater and the numbers will be easier to read by your beloved RC. Personally, I have put on only the last three digits because that's how we keep score. And it saves a bit of money too ;)

Last edited:
If the officials in your local clubs are ignorant/incompetent/lazy enough to allow racing with fake sails, why would 0ne expect they give a damn about sail numbers?

If you want to be recognized on the water, just take some sail cloth tape of your favourite colour and stick your initials on the sail.
Just because a club does not enforce the sail rules does not make them incompetent, ignorant, or lazy. It can simply mean that they have their priorities on sailing and not supporting the monopoly that is the new class legal sail market.

Just because a club does not enforce the sail rules does not make them incompetent, ignorant, or lazy.
Yes it does. An organization like a club has no authority whatsoever over the class rules of an international class. Period.

If you don't want to "support a monopoly", your choice is simple: stay away from the Laser. Or any other single-supplier class, like the 29er, 49er, Sunfish, Byte, all Hobie classes, all RS classes... etc.

Maybe we can stop this discussion be saying a lot local races (including the Wednesday evening competition at my local club in Amsterdam) are one-person dingy races . We all happen to use lasers huls. Some use old official sails bust most old and new unofficial sails. This way we can keep the cost low, get local youth involved (we have four boats that can be borrowed for that). The competition is between ourselves only and we are the race official also, we do not claim to hold "official" laser races.

We are not lazy nor incompetent or ignorant (at least in this respect .;-).

I think it it wise to realise that the definition of club racing is not the same everywhere and keep that in mind when reacting. In my case club racing is having a bunch of laser like boats together every Wednesday (sometimes splash joins or even a Solo), for others it may be more official.

It's all about cultural stereotypes again... Amsterdammers "live and let live", Americans fight "evil" corporations and government... and there's a law-abiding Scandinavian somewhere here, too :cool:

dingyj #22: choose your authority. That is, whoever you want to recognize you on the water, just ask them what they want on your sail. Then ignore all the rest of us.

Thanks for all the feed back. After sailing j22 j24 buc snipes ans some big boats a few ago, im very happy to be sailing in a "club" atmosphere here in CO. We can get 20+ lasers on Thur night. I have been promoting lots of boats, good competition which we have accomplished. Practice sails rock.

Last edited by a moderator:
It just doesn't seem right to spend more cash on a new sail that costs more than the entire used boat with a registered trailer.

200,000+ Lasers have been built. How many are still being used? How many have we lost to high school bonfires? How many have been scuttled by a punctured air cube?

How many are simply sitting in a garage waiting to be found by a 15 year old who has $200 to buy a new sail to replace the one that looks like a prostitutes bed sheet? That kid could be the next Slingsby or he could just have fun with his mates playing out on the water.

There is nothing better than seeing a bunch of old guys sailing beatup Lasers, because they spent all of their money on their kid's Opti. Should I buy a new overpriced sail for an Opti or a new overpriced sail for my old Laser?

Sailors often practice against each other. There is no point in tuning with someone upwind if they are pointing 5 degrees higher than you because the leach on your old class legal sail is blown.

If its all about supporting the class then Laser themselves should start selling practice sails at a reasonable price.

Why can't people buy little-used sails that fit their budget and still look nice?

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I had written a long post, 99 % of which I ended up deleting. (I'm obviously getting tired of this.)

I mean, the most popular argument for buying fake Laser sails is the price. If you can afford to buy a fake sail at a certain price, why not buy a used real one with the same price tag? The new sail won't stay new for very long anyway, and a used one with a similar price wouldn't be a "5 degrees lower-pointing" rag, either.

The problem is that the sails of which you speak of aren't that common, clearly not common enough or more people would do what you suggest.

I don't just buy practice sails because they cost less. I buy them because they last longer. I've got an isail that is going to be retired to play days only. I've sailed on at least 10 times where is was near gale. 30 kts constant, gusts 45 kts(we have a wind tower within view). Very protected water, the boats worth more in insurance money, I've got mad boat handling skills, and I'm a bit nutz. The leach is finally shot, the cloth is soft; however, its not a bag like all of the class legal sails when they are tired. The cloth they use is substanially better.

By the time you would retire a sail to training it is not pointing, that is what makes most people decide to get a new sail. But they aren't really good for training because they are stretched.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I had written a long post, 99 % of which I ended up deleting. (I'm obviously getting tired of this.)

I mean, the most popular argument for buying fake Laser sails is the price. If you can afford to buy a fake sail at a certain price, why not buy a used real one with the same price tag? The new sail won't stay new for very long anyway, and a used one with a similar price wouldn't be a "5 degrees lower-pointing" rag, either.
I don't agree with calling these training sails for fake, as far as I now no one are saying that they are the genuine class legal part.

replace the one that looks like a prostitutes bed sheet?
LOL - sheer poetry, and I sincerely hope it offends someone. I purchased a "practice" sail for the same reason that I purchased a 1979 Laser in need of structural repairs - it was all I could afford.

There used to be a market for old sails, often with only 1 season usage, that could be purchased for $50-100. It was a win for both parties. Now we just throw them out after 2 seasons.

I have never seen "used class legal sails advertised up here in Maine. Besides, how do you take off the sail numbers? I'm sure these is a regulation against sailing with someone else's number.

Peel the numbers off and use a citrus based solvent is my preferred choice for removing the gum.

Back