Laser Restoration

heathy

"Hot Prospect"
Recently i bought a 1985 laser for £350 with two sails (average nick) and some xd gear (holt xd kicker, holt xd cunningham and vang, carbon extension(rough), padded toestrap) i thought it was a bargain:cool: although i knew that it would need a little bit of work, although it doesn't leak an ounce.

its had a repair on the gunwale (solid but looks a mess) but under neath it needs a little bit of work and i was wondering if i was better to re gelcoat it or paint it.

Ive replaced some of the hardware (blocks except the ratchet), put a new friction pad on and alo added a rigid spring.

Also whats the best way to make the foils look shiny and new?

Im not new to laser sailing (been sailing a 99 race for two years at school) just this is my first and i want to do it properly.

Thanks

James

I too did a restoration job on a Black Magic 18 months ago - very satisfying The hull had two small holes in the side and was looking rough. Fixed the holes properly, sanded the bottom, filled and polished whole lot, looks great in its black glossyness! :)
For the foils I ground out where rust was showing through with a dremel, filled with epoxy and then sprayed with a couple of coats of white plastikote paint. Finish off by sanding and polishing.

Back